sixty eight

Rebecca came back with them when John drove back on Sunday after they'd recorded '39, she had to get back for work and at the mention of the word, Roxanne knows that she too would have to return to the diner and explain her absence. If Danny let her off without any disciplinary action she would be very surprised. She was supposed to be a manager after all.

On Monday morning, the two of them shocked that they weren't feeling more nervous; John made them breakfast while Roxy sat on the couch and played with Amos and a piece of string.

Their appointment wasn't until two-thirty and so the hours between breakfast and leaving for the hospital were spent doing anything that made it feel as if time was going by faster than it was.

When it was time to go, Roxanne filled a flask with water and downed two cups just to get her started -the nurse on the phone made it very clear that she had to have a full a bladder for the scan.

It was the same hospital that she had been taken to the night she'd had her drink spiked and as they walked inside, John gave her hand a squeeze and as he spoke to the receptionist, Roxy feels herself getting nervous.

They found the right waiting room to be rather full; lots of expecting couples who were a lot older and married and Roxanne swears that they're all staring at them as they sit down.

"Hey," he whispers, resting his hand on her knee when she starts bouncing it up and down, "Relax, yeah?"

To try and calm herself, she grabs a pamphlet off of the table beside her and opens it up but she finds that she can't focus enough to read it. She's too busy staring at the couple sat across from them. The woman has a considerable-sized bump and her husband has got his hand resting on it, a smile on his face as he laughs at something she said.

"Stop staring," John whispers but it's not that easy.

"One by one," the couples get called in and it's not long until a stout, middle-aged woman with short grey hair is calling her name.

The room that the pair follow her into is smaller than she thought it'd be but there's tons of equipment and supplies in it.

"Alright, Roxanne if you'd like to just hop on up here," the nurse pats the uncomfortable looking bed, "And we'll get you looked at. My name is Anna by the way. Anna Clark."

"Nice to meet you." Roxy says quietly.

"Dad?" the woman asks, looking at John who nods quickly, "You want to grab that stool there so you can see too?"

He does as she suggests as she gets things set up and Roxy rolls up her shirt while wondering if there's going to be an opportunity for her to ask questions. There probably will be but at the end.

"Right," Anna hums, squeezing some of the gel onto the little stick thing they use, "This might be cold and rather uncomfortable with the full bladder"

Nodding, Roxanne takes John's hand when he holds his out. Now, she was really nervous. What if the tests -the six tests- were all wrong? What if there was no baby and she was wasting everyone's time?

Anna places the wand thing on her stomach and immediately starts moving it around, trying to locate the baby and whatnot and every time she presses down on her poor bladder, Roxy squeezes John's hand tighter and prays that she doesn't wet himself.

"Well, you are definitely pregnant," Anna smiles, tapping away on the keyboard, "Around six to eight weeks, maybe. That's what you thought yourself, wasn't it?"

"Yeah,"

She turns the screen so the couple can see and John leans forward, "Your baby is small right now, around the size of a kidney bean so...I don't know, can you see it?"