eighty one

The following day, after Lillian and everyone else had been to visit them in the hospital, Roxanne was discharged. John had gone back to the flat to get the car that morning and when he got back, his mum was there and of course, she was -along with everyone else- completely besotted with Arthur. 

Roxy had waited until he was there before they announced the name to her, which she of course, absolutely adored. She'd cried, Roxanne had cried - even John had shed a couple of tears as his mum wrapped him up in a tight embrace, telling him that his father would be so proud and happy that they'd chosen to name their baby after him. 

They were both just so ready to get him home to the flat and settled in. 

One of the young nurses, Eirinn who had been looking after them for the short time they'd been in there, she's giving Arthur one last cuddle before they go. 

"I'm going to miss this one," she coos, "He's the happiest baby I've had the pleasure of looking after in a while." 

John grins at Roxanne from where he's gathering all the cards and gifts that their friends had brought for them, "He gets that from me." 

She smiles and packs her dirty washing into the bag that Freddie and Brian had brought her. 

"Oh," John reaches into another bag he'd brought to take the stuff back with them, digging around for the box of chocolates for the staff, "These are for you." 

"What?" Eirinn laughs, "Oh, you shouldn't have!"

"It's just a little thank you," he shrugs, a light flush crossing his face, "For looking after the two of them." 

The young nurse gently lowers Arthur into his car seat and buckles him in before taking the chocolates from him, "Well thank you very much. Now, Roxanne, if you'd like to sit yourself down in this chair and we'll get you on your way." 

"Are you sure I can't just walk?" she frowns, "This just seems a little bit unnecessary." 

"Sorry, hun," Eirinn smiles, "Hospital rules." 

John grabs her bag as she sits down, throwing it over his shoulder while bending down to pick up Arthur's car seat. 

Eirinn chats away as she wheels her towards the lifts while Roxanne tries to ignore the feeling that everyone is staring at her. 

Outside, once they've got Roxanne comfortable in the back seat, Eirinn shows them how to secure the car seat before she's gently rubbing Arthur's cheek and wishing them luck for their first night. 

All the way home, Arthur has one hand wrapped around his mother's finger, grizzling every-so-often until Roxanne soothes him, talking in a soft voice about how she can't wait to get him home. 

She just hopes that Roger had brought the crib like they'd asked. 

John drives a what feels like a snail's pace - he can see in his mirrors and hear the frustrated horns of drivers behind him but he doesn't care. They're carrying precious cargo. 

Every now and then, he glances into the rearview mirror and sees Roxanne's content smile and ends up thinking about how lucky he is. 

"Do you think Casper and Amos will be alright with him?" she speaks quietly, "I hope they don't get jealous." 

"They'll be fine," he reassures her, "Those two have the best temperament I've ever seen in cats."

That was true. The pair of them were so loving and snuggly. It took a lot to get either of them upset or mad. 

Finally, their building comes into view and John parks in their normal space behind Roxanne's mini and gets out. He helps Roxanne up and out first, "How about you go up and unlock the door?"