seventy two

As soon as the second week in December came around, Roxanne decided that it was time to go out and get their tree. 

"Don't you think it's a tad too early?" John asks as he watches her struggle into a pair of jeans. 

She looks at him as if he'd offended her, "It's never too early for putting your tree up, John."

Holding his hands up in surrender, he stands from where he's sat on the bed, "Alright." 

"Freddie told me about the place that he and Mary got theirs," she says as he grabs their coats, "It sounds decent." 

"Do you know where it is?" 

"I wrote it down," she grins, "I'd forgotten it after ten minutes because my memory is shocking."

He's inclined to agree. She was definitely suffering from pregnancy brain.

They bundle up against the chilly December air and although she wanted to walk, John reminds her that they would be coming home with a tree so they had to take the car. 

Like he said, pregnancy brain.

Luckily he knows where they're going after looking at the paper she had stuffed into her bag and he knows that it won't take them long to get there.

"We should start thinking about what we're doing for Christmas," he says quietly as she fiddles with the dials for the radio. 

"I was thinking that we could invite your mum down," she replies, finally settling on a station, "We haven't seen her in a while." 

"She'd like that," he smiles, "She keeps ringing when you're sleeping." 

"She does?" 

He nods, "Her timing is terrible. She always rings during your nap." 

Roxanne didn't like to admit it but these days, it felt like all she did was sleep but sometimes, it was due to the fact that she hadn't slept well the night before. It was getting to the point in her pregnancy that she was really struggling to find a comfortable position for the night and John, he was absolutely no help. He fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. 

Lucky bastard.

"You should have woke me," 

John shrugs, "Mum always tells me to leave you be." 

"I'll phone her tonight," she promises, "Just...remind me, yeah?" 

Lillian has been an absolute angel through all of this. Not only has she sent down a bunch of books and stuff that had belonged to John when he was younger - the woman was always on hand if they ever had any questions and while she was a little bit sad that she wasn't getting to do this with her own mum, Roxy was grateful that she was there. 

"Maybe we could invite Roger and Rebecca too?" she asks, toying with her hands, "If they're not doing anything of course. They might be going down to see his mum and dad." 

He nods, "Yeah, of course." 

When they get to the tree yard, Roxanne can't help but giggle at the name on the sign. 

Bruce's Spruces. 

"That's quite funny." she murmurs to herself, eagerly climbing out of the car.

There are not many people in the yard and John thinks that it's because it is too early to be putting up the tree but he doesn't say anything.

They take a lap of the whole place hand in hand before they're interrupted by a fan of the band, a young girl called Kelsie who tells John that her dad is a massive fan and asks if she can get his autograph.