fifty six

Roxanne hates doing schedules. Absolutely hates it. In fact, the last time she had to sit in the office and do them, she'd done them for five weeks in advance. 

That five weeks was now over though and now, she was there again, sat in the tiny office with blank schedules all around her and to her left, are about a dozen blue sticky notes that have everyone's holidays or days that they're wanting off and she's trying to find a way to make everyone happy but so far, she's been through here for an hour and she's only managed to do two. 

As she said, she hates doing schedules. 

When she's halfway through her third, there's a knock on the door (which she'd closed so nothing and nobody could distract her) and she puts her pen down, "Yeah?" 

It's a welcome relief when Freddie pops his head around and she grins, waving him in, "Freddie!" 

"Hello, Nessie darling," he greets, hugging her tightly as she gets up. 

"What are you doing here?" she asks, "Not that I'm complaining but I thought you were in the studio today." 

"Yes, I'm heading there in a bit," he nods, "But I wanted to stop by and see you first." 

She leans back in her chair, staying quiet as he digs around in the many pockets that are on his jacket and her eyes widen when he produces a small black box, causing her to lean forward once more. 

"What do you think?" he asks quietly, opening the box to reveal an absolute stunner of a ring.

"Holy shit," she peers closer to get a better look, "Oh Freddie, it's beautiful...but we can't. I'm sorry, Freddie but I love John." 

"Oh piss off," he laughs, almost catching her fingers when he snaps the box shut again, "It's for Mary." 

"I know that," she grins and he allows her to take the box from him so she can have another look, "You're going to ask her to marry you?" 

"Tomorrow night," he nods, "I'm taking her out to dinner. Do you think she'll like it?" 

 Roxy nods, "Of course she will. She'll love it! You've got good taste. Though if she says no, can I have it?" 

He rolls his eyes and pockets the ring again, looking at the mass of paper that she's got covering the desk, "She's not going to say no, but sure. What are you doing?" 

"Losing the will to live," she jokes, "Do you have time for a coffee? Or do you need to go now? John never said what time you were all to be there." 

He looks at the clock, "I always have time for you, darling! But can I have tea?" 

She nods, telling him that she'll just be a moment before she leaves the tiny office. 

The diner is finally picking up with customers. Roxy's not quite sure how or why but it has and the place is finally making enough money that allowed her to get some more staff in and that means that she was able to go through the back without worrying about the goings-on out on the floor. 

She makes their drinks, deciding on having tea as well (because really, she only likes having coffee in the morning to wake her up) and she makes some coffee for everyone else, telling one of the new starts, Jennifer, to tell everyone to help themselves. 

Freddie's reading one of those gossip magazines that she reads when she returns, tossing it to the side so he can take his cup. 

"What do you still have to do?" Roxy asks, "With the album I mean. And how's Brian? He still feeling alright?" 

"Oh yes, he's fine. He gets tired still but as long as he's got a comfortable chair, he's happy to keep going," 

"Good," she nods, "Do they know how he caught it yet?"