thirty

well would you look at that

well would you look at that. what are the chances of that happening?

++|++

"Has that shop always been empty?"

Roxy looks up from the bill she's trying to calculate - the register decided to crap out earlier on in the morning and so she was attempting to do things manually.

Yeah...she had a headache.

"What one?" she asks.

Brian, who's on his way to the school to start his day, points out the window, "The one beside the newsagents. It's got workmen in the now but I don't recall it ever being for sale."

"Me neither," she admits.

Wait, why was she trying to calculate this? She had a maths teacher sat right in front of her.

Brian turns on his stool, finally looking away from the ongoing renovations and seeing her grinning at him, he wordlessly holds out his hands for her workings.

"Thank you," she sings, "I'll be back in a minute, 'm just going to take this table's order."

He nods, not looking up from the sum and by the time she returns, he's got it done, "Do we need to get anything for Freddie's party?"

She shakes her head, "No, I don't think so. It's bring your own booze though. I've not got enough to cover that, getting the food and my rent. So if you see any of the people who are coming, please let them know."

"I will," he nods, gathering his things just as Doug calls her name, "See you later, Roxy."

She waves and moves to the kitchen window, "Yeah?"

"Danny rang," he tells her, "Said there's some people coming in to set up the radio connection."

She nods. Danny is the owner of the diner but he really isn't around much which is why it seems that Doug is now in charge.

Apparently the whole place was getting a makeover and the first thing that was getting done, was that they were getting a radio put in. That meant that she didn't have to listen to cheesy diner songs all the time. If customers wanted, they could still request songs on the jukebox, which would cut off the radio but she didn't really see that happening often.

As the day progresses, the workmen from the shop across the road made regular visits and being as nosey as she is, she managed to find out that it was going to be a flower shop run by the Anderson family, whoever they were.

It quietens down after the morning rush and Roxanne makes a list of ingredients that she needs to pick up from the supermarket to make Freddie's cake once she and Alyssa have gone shopping.

Now, what could she get him?

++|++

The rest of her shift drags and by the time 2:30 comes, she's practically skipping out of the door after leaving Molly with the keys.