thirty one

Brian and Roger are still there when she has to get ready and so she just leaves them in the living room so she can go get changed, cursing Roger when she looks in the mirror after pulling on her dress to see that there's a cracking bruise forming on her skin from where he'd given her a dead arm.

"Arsehole," she whispers, not at all upset that she had given him a dead leg in return.

She didn't get the key back. When they'd ruined the final round for Brian, he'd broken the two apart and took the key for himself.

How that solved the problem she didn't know but she'd rather he have it than Roger.

John's buzzes the door at exactly 6:55, just as she's putting on some mascara and she lets him in, telling him that the door to the flat is open and as she puts on her necklace, he comes in, calling her name softly before he's greeted by his two bandmates.

"I'll just be a second!" she replies, looking in the mirror once more.

Not to sound like she's tooting her own horn but she looks good; hair styled in her signature waves and the dress she'd picked was a soft blue.

She's gone all out because from their interactions earlier on, she had a feeling that tonight could be the night.

John stands up from petting Casper and she gives herself a silent well done when his mouth drops.

"Hi," she whispers, grabbing her bag, "Are you ready?"

He nods, clearing his throat, "Taxi's waiting outside."

"You two have fun!" Roger calls as John helps her into her cardigan, "I want her home by eight young man."

"You look lovely, Roxanne," Brian compliments, looking at Roger when he wipes away a fake tear.

"They grow up so fast."

"Piss off," she laughs, "When you leave, shut off the lights please." She follows John out into the hallway, sorting her bag as the door shuts behind her, looking at him to see that he's still staring, "What?"

"You look beautiful," he mumbles, cheeks flushing, "You really suit blue."

"Thank you," she smiles, linking her arm through his as they start going down the stairs.

"Did you manage to find something for Freddie?" he asks as he opens the door to the taxi for her and she nods.

"Yeah, but it's nothing much."

"What'd you get?"

"I got him some notebooks and a pen. I mean he's always writing stuff down and then losing it. I just thought that with these, he could keep everything together, you know?"

He wraps his arm around her shoulder, "He'll love them."

++|++

Élémentaire is posh. Posh and expensive. So expensive that Roxanne tells John that no, this is too much but he shook his head, saying that he didn't care.

He didn't tell her that he'd been saving since he first took her out, wanting to give her the first date that she truly deserved.

He watches her as she looks over the menu, eyes widening every so often when she comes across a particularly expensive item. He'd meant what he said at the flat, she looked breathtaking and god, he can't help but feel that he's one lucky man.

The waiter appears beside them, asking about drinks and John asks for a bottle of red wine, asking if they could possibly have a look at the bottle before he opens it.