one hundred and fourteen

Live Aid had confirmed that Queen still had it. Not that John was the success of the band but come on, he had to ask himself just how long could it last?

After their triumphant show at the gig, the band decided that a well deserved break was in order and so, they each went off and did their own things.

It meant that John got to spend the rest of the summer holidays with the kids; he'd play football and Lego with them, join in play time, let Isla give him a makeover with Roxanne's lipstick.he'd even refereed a match of Fight House (when Roxanne was gone of course).

They still saw Roger, Rebecca and their kids, it was kind of hard not to when your gardens are so close together. They would come over for dinner or barbecues, the kids would go through the woods to their house so they could play in the pool...Roger and John had even made treehouse for them in one of the thicker trees in the forest, halfway between the two gardens where they could play, away from the watchful eyes of their parents.

But of course, all good things must come to an end because tomorrow, was the first day of September which meant that not only were Arthur, Theo and Michael heading back to school, but Isla was also going.

Yep, their little girl was starting school tomorrow and honestly, neither John or Roxanne could quite believe it.

John really didn't know who was more anxious, him or Isla.

The last day of the summer holidays was spent at the zoo, Michael's choice and while the kids all play in the playground that's there, Roxanne, John and Robert sit on the picnic blanket where they they'd been eating lunch.

Robert's snacking on some strawberries, little hands covered in the juice and John smiles, wiping a drip from his chin before his eyes trail to Isla, who's playing on the swing.

"I can't believe she's starting school," he shakes his head, "I...I can't believe that she's five."

Smiling, Roxanne follows his gaze to the little girl, "I know. And Arthur starts high school next year."

"Don't remind me," he chuckles, "Doesn't it seem like we were just bringing him home from the hospital? He's going to be eleven. Eleven."

"I don't think I'll be able to handle that," she admits with a laugh.

"We're getting old, Roxy."

"We're thirty-four," she shakes her head, "Well, you're thirty-five but..." she laughs again but before John can reply, their eyes are taken back to their kids when they hear a cry of pain, seeing that Isla is now sitting on the ground, cradling her knee and the two parents can see, even from where they're at, that it's bleeding.

"I've got it," John says, hopping up from the blanket to go see to her, shooing her brothers away when they crowd around her.

Roxy watches as he talks quietly to her, tapping her gently on the nose which gets her to smile before he's helping her up, taking her hand as he leads her back to the blanket.

She digs about in the bag that she's brought, feeling for the plasters that she'd chucked in, "What's happened, love?"

"I fell," she sniffles, wiping her nose with the back of her hand, "I'm bleeding, mummy!"

"Oh, let me have a look," she whispers and the little girl turns so her knee is in clear view and Roxy leans in close to make sure that there's no dirt in the cut, Roxanne can feel John's eyes on her.

"What do we think?" John asks, leaning over to peer at the skinned knee, "Do we need to go to the hospital to get it cut off?"

"What?" Isla cries, wide eyes darting between him and her mother, "No! Daddy, no! I don't wanna my leg to be cut off!"

Roxanne shakes her head, glaring at her husband as the little girl gets more and more upset and John chuckles quietly, pulling her onto his lap.  

"I'm kidding, darling," he promises, kissing the top of her head, "I'd never let anyone do that to you."

"Okay," Roxanne holds up two plasters as Isla giggles at the funny face that John's pulling, "Mickey or Pluto?"

++|++

The next morning, John and Isla were the first two to stir - he was making some coffee when she practically skipped down the stairs into the kitchen and he laughs when he sees that she's already in her uniform; granted, her tie is askew and her shoes are on the wrong feet but still, she's made a great effort.

"Look at you," he grins, putting his mug down on the counter so he can go fix her tie, "Are you excited?" 

She nods and seeing that, gives John a little peace of mind; she's not nervous - not in the slightest. 

"Alright, hop on up here for me," he pats the seat beside them, "You've got your shoes on the wrong feet, my darling."

"Oops," she giggles.

A little while later, Roxanne gets up as well and she's the one who wakes the boys, who all grumble and moan as they make their way down into the kitchen, where John's got some breakfast sat out on the table for them.

"I don't wanna go back," Theo grumbles, pushing his plate away and resting his head against the table, "I hate school." 

"Now that's not true," Roxanne says as she walks by and he turns his head to look at Arthur, who's happily eating his bacon.

"She's right, it's not." 

Isla's already finished, too excited to wait any longer and so she runs off upstairs, Roxanne in tow and she leans against the doorframe as the little girl packs up her pencil case, making sure that she's got all of the stationary that she'd bought is safely inside before she tucks it into her bag. 

She feels a little twinge of sadness in her heart, she's going to miss having Isla at home with her but god, she knows that she's going to do so well in school... 

"I'm ready to go, mummy!" she grins, looking up at her, "Can we go now?" 

"Well, it's still a little bit early, darling. Besides, your brothers still have to get dressed." 

She sighs dramatically, "Tell them to hurry up, mummy." 

Roxanne would ruffle her hair but she's spent almost half an hour trying to coax her thick hair into braids and she is not doing anything to mess them up.

Eventually, the boys are ready and John makes sure to bring the video camera so he can film the kids in front of the school, where their little girl grabs hold of Roxanne's hand, a sudden shyness taking over her. 

"Hey," she whispers, crouching down, "You're gonna be fine. You're gonna make lot's of new friends, learn so much and your dad and me, we can't wait to hear it when we come pick you guys up, alright?" 

She nods and Roxy hugs her tightly, kissing her cheek before she stands to kiss the boys too, only to be dodged by Arthur who lets out an embarrassed, "Mum, don't!" 

Roxanne takes the camera so John can do the same and then the bell rings and Isla suddenly looks rather pale until Arthur puts his hand on his shoulder, "Don't worry, you'll be fine." 

She gives her brother a grateful smile and then, just like that, their baby girl was off into school. 

"Four down," John murmurs, looking down at Robert, "Only one more to go."