fourteen

Roxanne barely got any sleep that night. She didn't know if it was because she was nervous about having to face her father or if it was because John was snoring on the floor next to the couch.

Freddie and Brian were also going to be coming up to Scotland with them. Roger had tried to argue that there wouldn't be room but the singer wasn't having it - saying that without Brian as a navigator, they'd get lost and well, Roxy knew that he wasn't wrong.

She tossed and turned all night, eventually dosing off at around four, only to be woken at seven on the dot by Brian so they could go get some breakfast at the diner - Roxanne was a lot happier going there now that she knew that John was not seeing Kim.

Freddie met them there, clutching a road map and his notebook and once seated inside with a pot of coffee for the table, Brian opens the map up and immediately starts planning their route.

"Where is it you live again, Roxy?"

"Pittenweem," she mumbles as she scans over the breakfast menu. She isn't really hungry enough to eat a full portion herself, "Do you think they'll just do me some bacon and toast? 'm not that hungry..."

"We could share something?" John offers, "The breakfast scramble? I'll eat anything you don't want."

She agrees and he gets up to put the table's order in at the counter and she watches him as he taps his fingers on the top of it in some sort of rhythm.

"Take a picture, darling. It'll last longer."

"Shut up," she mutters as her face turns red, "I-I wasn't staring."

"Alright," Brian begin, looking up from the map, "If I've calculated this right, which I'm sure I have, it's going to take us at least eight hours."

"Jesus Christ," Roger mutters and Roxanne can't help but agree with him. That is a long drive.

"There are some services at Warrington. We could stop there for a break and let Roger off the driving. Either Roxy or I will take over."

"It'll have to be me," she mumbles as John sits back down, "I can't read a map to save my life."

"I can," John says, thanking her as she pours them all some coffee, "I'll navigate for a bit."

"Great," Brian nods, leaning over to put the map down in front of Roger, "We'll take this way. It should take us out of the city fairly quickly and it keeps to the quieter roads."

"Okay," he nods, taking a swig of coffee, "So we..."

Roxanne zones out as they talk -she's exhausted and as soon as they set off, she's fully intending to find somewhere in the back of that van to lie down and sleep until it's time for her to drive.

The waitress puts their orders down in front of them and as agreed, she and John share the breakfast scramble and it's silent until John excuses himself to go to the bathroom.

"That's cute," Roger muses, nodding towards her as she pours some more coffee into John's mug.

"What?"

"Sharing breakfast, pouring him coffee. Acting like a proper little couple aren't you and I, for one, am all for it."

"Roger," she hisses, "Be quiet!"

"He's in the bathroom, Nessie. He's hardly going to hear me."

"Still!"

John returns not ten seconds later, sliding into the booth beside her once more, "I've just seen Kim. Asked her if they'd found anyone to replace her yet."