eighty five

John really didn't like being back at work. He really didn't like being back at work but, when the alarm goes off bright and early on the drizzly May morning, he drags himself from the warm confines of the bed so he can go shower.

He'd been dreading this all night - he'd only been back for a couple of days but Arthur had been up for half of the night. It had gotten to the point of the two of them being so exhausted that he had just brought the baby into the bed with them, setting him down in the middle of him and Roxanne where finally, he settled and John was able to get some proper sleep.

John didn't like going back to work. Especially when Roxanne and Arthur are looking so cosy and peaceful.

So the baby doesn't fall off the bed, John puts his two pillows down to create a barrier and starts rummaging through his drawers for clothes.

"It's morning already?"

He looks over his shoulder to his wife, watching as she gently twirls the thickening strands of Arthur's hair around one of her fingers, "Sadly, yes."

She sighs, "Do you have to go? Can't the rest of the boys handle it?"

He gives her a smile, "Sorry love. Believe me, there's nothing I want to do more than climb back into bed with the pair of you but, I have to get to the studio."

Roxanne nods sadly, looking down at Arthur when he starts to waken.  

Right on time. 

As Roxanne gently lifts him to cradle him against her, John finally grabs his clothes for the day and heads for the door but he can't help but look at them again. 

He loves mornings like these; where Rox is still half asleep, letting Arthur grab hold of her finger with his little hand. He loves watching her sing to him, the same song she always sings and one that can lull even him to sleep. 

After his shower, John feeds Arthur while Roxanne makes the two of them breakfast, humming along quietly to the Elton John song that's playing on the radio. 

That's another thing John will miss in the mornings.   

He has to be at the studio by nine-thirty and so when Rox puts his plate down in front of him, he has to practically inhale his food so he can leave to be on time. 

"I gotta go," he says regrettably as he glances at the clock and Roxanne nods, "What are you going to do today?"

"I might ring my mum," she murmurs, "See how she's getting on."

"She found anywhere to live yet?"

"Almost," she nods, running her hand through her hair as she leans on the counter to look at him, "She says she's found a little two-bedroom house not far from the village."

"Good," he hums, looking down at Arthur, who is looking up at him with his bright eyes, "Isn't that good?"

Roxanne giggles and stands so she can lay Arthur down on the playmat they've got set up on the living room floor, where he can bat at the colourful toys and the rattles. 

She follows John out into the hall as Amos and Casper do their best to trip them up, sorting the collar of John's coat one he's pulled it on, "Hey, maybe Arthur and I can stop by later on?" she offers as he grabs his bass, "I could pick up some lunch for the lot of you? If you're not busy of course." 

John nods, "Yeah, I reckon that'll be alright. If today is anything like yesterday, it might be a bit of a welcome relief. Besides, I'm sure Roger will be happy to see him, it's been almost a week since he's come round."