forty six

Roxanne loves Halloween. She always has; when she was little, she loved getting dressed up and going guising with her friends and to this day, she still loved dressing up so when Freddie said that he'd heard that one of the local hotspots were having a fancy dress night, she immediately got excited and set about finding a costume.

A couple of days before the big day, Roxanne caught wind of a Halloween carnival coming to the park and when the band plus Rebecca and Mary came into the diner for their dinner, Roxanne thought that was the perfect time to suggest going.

"I don't think so, Nessie," Roger shakes his head, taking a sip of his coke, "Seems a little bit childish to me."

His cousin glares at him before looking at his girlfriend, "Hey, Rebecca? Do you wanna see a picture of Roger in a kilt?"

The blonde's face pales as Rebecca eagerly nods and Roxanne leaves the table for a few minutes to go grab the Polaroid that she has in her bag, returning a couple of minutes later, "Do you just carry that around with you?"

"Just in case you lot annoy me, yes." she grins, handing it over to his girlfriend.

When they were first up in Scotland, the five of them, she'd asked her mum to take a photo of them before they left for the ceilidh.

"Oh look," Rebecca giggles, "Nice legs, boys. Though Brian, yours looks a little short."

"Give me that," Roger huffs, sticking it in his pocket - much to the annoyance of his cousin.

"I want that back," she points at him, "Now, what about it? The Halloween carnival?"

"Freddie and I can't make it," Mary frowns and Roxanne's shoulders sag, "We're having dinner with my dad. It does sound fun though."

Rebecca nods, "It does. We'll go, right Rog?"

Roxanne grins as Roger looks at the others, "You're going?"

He had directed his question at John, who nods, "Like Mary said, it sounds fun."

Roger looks back at Rebecca, who's looking at him with hopeful eyes and he reluctantly nods, "Yeah, of course we'll go, love."

Roxanne grins; she likes Rebecca. It was clear as day that Roger was completely smitten by her and in the best way possible, she had him wrapped around her finger. 

"I'll give it a miss," Brian shakes his head, putting his fork down on his empty plate, "I don't really feel like being a fifth wheel." 

"Oh Brian, no!" Roxanne pleads, "Come, please! It'll be fun!" 

"Yeah, mate," Roger mumbles, "How are you ever supposed to meet someone if you don't go out anywhere?" 

"I go out, Roger!" he protests. 

"To work and the flat. Occasionally gigs but other than that, you don't do anything." 

Brian opens his mouth to retort but once again, Rebecca steps in and tells Roger to leave him alone. 

"You can't force him to come," she shakes her head, "And hey, it'll be fun with the four of us. A double date?" 

Roger didn't exactly look pleased at that. 

++|++

Later that night, John and Roxanne bundle up against the cold air and make their way to the diner, where they agreed to meet Rebecca and Roger. 

John smiles when she practically drags him down the streets, eventually pulling her to a halt when her shoelace comes undone, "Rox, love, slow down. We've got all night." 

"I'm sorry," she flushes, quickly doing it back up again, "I'm just...I love Halloween and all this kind of stuff." 

"Oh really?" he teases, pulling her close as they start walking, "I had no idea." 

"Alright," she nudges him softly, "I deserve that." 

She'd been going on about the night for almost two weeks now - asking who would be dressing up and if so, what were they going as but so far, it looked as if she was going to be the only one. 

"You'll dress up with me, right?" she asks, looking up at him as the diner comes into sight, pouting when she sees the hesitation in his eyes, "Please, John? It won't be fun if we go out and I'm the only one who's made any effort!"

"I'm not really a fan of Halloween," he admits and her mouth drops. 

"I'm breaking up with you." 

He tuts, catching hold of her hand as she pulls away, "Besides, I'm working the next day." 

"You are?" she frowns, "Dammit." 

They approach the diner just as Roger and Rebecca step out and she tries to hide her disappointment at the fact that John wouldn't be joining her. She was sure if she did ask him, he'd come out with her but if he was working the next day, he wouldn't be able to enjoy himself. 

"Evening," Roger greets and although she'd seen Rebecca just a few hours prior, Roxanne gives her a quick hug, immediately pulling her ahead of the guys. 

The pair of them talk quietly and Rebecca notices that the young woman doesn't look as excited as she did earlier and after looking over her shoulder to see that the guys were too invested in their own conversation, she bats her hand against Roxy's gently, "You alright?" 

"Hm? Yeah, I'm fine. It's just..."

"Just?" 

"There's this pub, The Crossed Peels that we always go to and for Halloween, they're doing this promotion where if you're dressed up, you get your drinks half price." 

"That sounds great!" Rebecca grins, "Why don't you sound so excited?" 

"At this point, it's just me who's going." Roxanne frowns, "Nobody seems interested. I thought John was going to go but he's working and Roger said that dressing up is childish...everyone's busy." 

"Well..." Rebecca trails off, "I'm not." Roxy looks at her and she shrugs, "I'll come out with you. If you want of course." 

"You'll dress up?" 

"Of course," she nods, "Can't not dress up on Halloween." 

The blonde grins and before Rebecca can blink, she's squealing and giving her another hug, which gains the attention of the boys and Roger sighs. 

"Why does that worry me?" 

++|++

this is really just a filler but next chapter will be some girl time with roxy and becca