sixteen

he looks so soft and cute and i am in love

++|++

Roxanne swears she has never seen anyone look more uncomfortable than the four of them.

Somehow, her mum knew someone at such short notice and who lived in the next village over and had kilts that they could borrow.

Luckily they all fit very well - except Brian's. It was a tad too short.

Out of the four of them, Freddie seemed to be the one who was embracing the kilt the most, closely followed by Brian and of course, John and Roger, they weren't looking too happy.

"Oh, Roger, I haven't seen you in a kilt since our Kelly-Marie's wedding. Do you remember?"

He gave his aunt a tense smile as she snapped a couple of photos, glaring at Roxy as she skipped down the stairs.

"Looking good, Rog. Nice legs," she grins as Brian comes down the stairs behind her, "Though not as impressive as Brian."

"It's comfier than I thought," the guitarist says, nodding his head.

"Freddie and John are through in the dining area," Cathy says, ushering them through, "I just want one picture of you all together and then you can be off."

"Do we need to take the van? Or...?" Roger asks and Roxy shakes her head.

"No, it's just up the road."

"So you want me to walk through the village like this?" he groans as she grabs her purse.

"Oh relax, Roger." Freddie says as he comes through the door, "How many people are going to see you? Like four?"

"Four more than I'd like."

"Besides, I'm sure everyone else who's going to this..."

"Ceilidh," Roxy calls from where she's grabbing her small bag, which she's slipped a hip flask full of gin into.

"Yes, thank you, darling! Everyone else who's going to this ceilidh will be dressed exactly the same way."

"Alright," Roxy cheers, standing in the doorway with John, who adjusts his sporran, "Let's go, shall we?"

After she yells goodbye to her dad, who doesn't look away from the TV, the five of them leave into the cooling air.

"We don't have to dance at this thing, do we, Nessie?"

"Not if you don't want to, no," she mumbles, digging through the small bag on her shoulder for her lipstick, "Though I'm sure there will be girls fighting for the chance to dance with such a handsome fellow."

"Oh thank god," Brian breathes and she looks at him with a grin on her face.

"I'm definitely having a dance with you, Mr May."

As they approach the hall where the ceilidh is being held, the music she had grown up listening to -thanks to her parents-, gets louder.

"Dear god," Roger mutters and Roxy grabs hold of John's hand to pull him towards the door.

Walking in, there is just a sea of tartan and she turns to the boys with a grin on her face, "Welcome to Pittenweem's annual summer ceilidh boys."

++|++

It takes a while for the boys to relax and let themselves enjoy the evening. Roxanne was whisked away by someone she knew as soon as they'd sat down so they didn't quite know what to do with themselves and so settled on, for now -until she came back and pulled them up to the dance floor- that they'd watch and try to get to grips with some of the steps and dances.