eighteen

"So, this is where you put the orders when they come in. You put them on this little spike here and Doug will get them."

It was Wednesday and Roxanne's first day at the Hollywood Diner. She had arrived at nine on the dot and Kim was the one who was training her and it turns out, that Kim is quite a nice person. She's patient, doesn't mind answering all of the questions Roxy has and doesn't mind sharing ways for the young woman to increase her tips.

"The last thing I have to show you," the brunette begins, pulling her over to the till, "Is this. It's very temperamental. Doesn't open when you need it to and jams at minimum, fifteen times a day."

"What do I do when it does that?"

"I give the drawer a good smack. That normally does the trick."

Roxanne nods, "So, the prices...how am I supposed to remember all of them?"

"Don't worry about that, alright? You'll pick it up soon enough but until then..." Kim reaches under the counter where they keep the mugs -or was it glasses?- and pulls out a spare menu, "What I did, was keep this by the till for the first few weeks. It's really handy."

"Okay," she takes the menu, "Thanks."

"It might seem like I'm throwing you in at the deep end here," she gives her a knowing smile, "But I'm going to let you take these next customers." Roxanne turns to the door with her own smile on her face but it falls when she sees it's Freddie and Roger who are making their way into the diner, "I think they'll go easy on you."

Yeah, she doubted that.

Roger grins as they step up to the counter, Look at you in your little outfit! You look great! Hiya, Kim."

"Hi," she waves, turning back to Roxanne, "I'm just going to pop through the back and get your shifts for you. You got this?"

"Thank you," Roxy repeats, "And yes, I think I'll be alright."

"Well?" Freddie asks, "Aren't you going to seat us?"

She laughs, "You know fine well that you can sit wherever you want. What are you doing here anyway? I thought you were working."

"We closed early," Roger shrugs, grabbing the menu when the two of them sit at the counter.

"I thought you weren't allowed to do that."

"She's gone up to Blackpool for the week," Freddie tells her, "So really, what she doesn't know, won't hurt her."

"Fair enough," she fishes her small notepad from the pocket of her apron, giving the pair a bright smile, "Now, what can I get you?"

++|++

At five, Roxanne, Kim and another girl who worked at the diner, Molly, all clocked out at the same time.

Roxy really thought that she was going to like it here, all of the staff that she'd met so far were really nice and welcoming.

As they made for the door, Kim handed her a post-it note that had all of her shifts written down, "I tried to get you out of the six-twos, those ones go on forever."

"Is that six in the evening?"

"Till two in the morning? Yeah." she frowns, "You might want to bring a book or something. You'll need it."

Roxanne tucks the note safely in her bag, "Noted."

Molly pushes the door open and it's a surprise when she sees John leaning up against the phonebox that's outside, trusty backpack by his side.