twenty nine

"Just try," Roger begs, hands clasped together, "Deaky, she'll say yes if you ask her."

"No," John shakes his head, "No, she won't."

"But we miss her!" Freddie cries.

He smiles, "I miss her being out with us too, Freddie but guys, if she's not ready, I'm not going to push her."

It had been two weeks since Roxanne had gotten discharged from the hospital and since then, she hadn't been the same. She didn't come out with them very often, preferring to stay at home and drink there instead of in a pub or club though really, John couldn't blame her.

The flat was her safe space.

Roger drags him over to the phone, dialling her number for him, "Just ask her yeah? She might say yes."

John seriously doubted that but he puts the phone to his ear just as Roxanne picks up, "Hello?"

"Hi love," he greets softly, "Are you just home?"

"Been home about an hour," she replies, "Are you at work?"

"No, I'm at Fred's shop."

"Ask her!" Roger yells and then Brian smacks him over the back of the head, telling him to shut up.

"Ask me what?" Roxy asks and John sighs, turning so his back is to the rest of the group.

"Just know that this was not my idea, alright? We're going out tonight, to The Crossed Peels and the guys were wondering if you would like to join us."

"Oh," Roxy says softly and he can picture her toying with the phone chord, "I...I don't know, John. I don't think I'm ready."

He smiles sadly, "Don't worry about it, Rox. We just thought we'd ask."

"I'm sorry," she whispers and he shakes his head even though she can't see it.

"No, don't apologise, love, alright? Nothing to be sorry for."

"Tell everyone to have a good night and that I'm sorry?" she asks, "And look after each other."

"I will," he promises, "And we will. I'll see you tomorrow, okay? You're still working at nine?"

"I am," she hums.

"I'll come round for you at my normal time?"

"Yeah," she whispers, "John, I..."

"Rox?" he asks when the line goes silent, "You there?"

"Yeah," she breathes again, "I'll see you tomorrow, John."

"Well?" Roger asks as he hangs up and turns, deflating in his seat when John shakes his head.

Alyssa rubs his back, "You've just got to give her time, Rog."

"I'm starting to worry about her."

"She's gone through something traumatic," Alyssa goes on, "We've just got to give her the time she needs and be there to support her when she's ready."

John won't admit it, but she's right and next to him and Roger, Alyssa is the one who's been spending the most time with Roxanne; popping to the flat if she's not working and such and to him, it's nice to see that the two women seem to be getting on.

"What if we didn't go out tonight?" Mary asks, making everyone look at her and John sits down beside Freddie.

"What have you got in mind, darling?"