sixty nine

The nurse was right, two weeks later, as soon as Roxy hit ten weeks, the morning sickness started. The very early morning sickness started. 

The first time it happened, she'd been awoken at around three in the morning by a horrible lurching sensation in her stomach and she'd barely made it to the toilet before everything she'd eaten that day made a reappearance. 

After brushing her teeth, she'd gotten herself back to bed but really, that was pointless because not fifteen minutes later, she was back in the bathroom. 

The worst thing was that John wasn't there with her, he was back in Rockfield and wouldn't be coming back to London until Friday. That was the agreement they had; he'd come to her one week and then Roxy would go to him the next. 

She's woken the next night but this time, at two and this round was just as horrible as the first.

"This isn't how I thought this would go," Roxy whispers to herself as she wipes her mouth with a piece of toilet roll, reaching over to flush the contents away before she's relaxing back on her legs, "You're killing me, kid."

By the time morning comes, she's made herself a small bed on the bathroom floor (she'll wash the blankets later) but she's exhausted. If she's lucky, she got maybe half an hour intervals before waking. 

And curled up on the floor was how Rebecca found her. 

This seemed to be where all her friends were finding her and Roxanne can't even bring herself to care about how she got in. She's tired and has to go to work soon.

Lucky her.

"Oh, Rox," Becca says softly, stepping over the cats who hadn't left her side, "How long have you been down there?" 

"'m not sure," she admits, "What time is it?" 

"Seven-thirty."

"Cracking," she mumbles, laying back down, "I'm just gonna have another ten minutes." 

"Not here, you're not." Rebecca says, "Come on. At least lie on the couch." 

"Don't do it, Becca," Roxy tells her as she helps her up, "Don't-" 

The brunette catches her as she sways, "Alright, I think you got up a little too quick there." 

"They said this would happen," Roxy flops down onto the couch. 

"Who did?" 

"The books," she points to the stack on the table, "Said I might be dizzy. Something to do with a hormone." 

"Uh-huh," Rebecca crouches down in front of her, "Rox, I think you should phone the diner and tell them you're not going in." 

"No!" she quickly stands, regretting it when the room started spinning, "No, I can't do that. Danny said that I'm on my last warning." 

"You can barely stand!" Rebecca yells as she starts making her way to the bedroom, "Roxanne, please."

"Don't worry," the blonde waves a hand, "I'll be fine!" 

Rebecca watches her as she goes, letting out a huff as she reaches for the phone. This was for her own good. 

++|++

Mornings at Rockfield are a favourite of John's. Most days, he's awake before anyone else and if he's got time, he'll grab his camera and his notebook before heading out to take a walk through the fields to a hill where you can get the most perfect view of the rising sun. (STL readers know)

He'd done that today; spent maybe an hour or so in the cool morning air before heading back, where the house was just starting to come alive. 

He could hear Roger and Freddie chatting in the kitchen while Brian sat at the counter reading his newspaper but he looks up as John enters the room, "Watching the sunrise again, John?"