fifty

June 1974

After the release of their first album, the band were quick to jump right back into the studio and put down their second one, which was released in March of '74. With that album, the guys decided that anything that wasn't to do with the band would be put on hold which meant that yes, they'd packed in uni for the time being. 

With the aptly named Queen II released, they were asked to join Mott the Hoople on their tour of the UK, which gave them their first real taste of what being on the road would be like. 

Roxanne sadly wasn't able to go with them - Doug had left the diner and so with the new cook, she was in charge when her actual boss wasn't around, which was pretty much all the time. 

And her not being able to go with them made her reunion with John just that little bit sweeter. 

Fast forward a week after their homecoming and it was the morning after a pretty wild party that had taken place at Roger and Brian's. Roxanne and John were tangled up on the couch, where they'd passed out at some point and she was less than thrilled when she was awoken by the shrill sound of their phone, which was right on the table by their heads, ringing. 

She ignored it though, letting out a huff as she turned around and burrowed under John's arm. It's too early for phone calls. 

"Nessie, get the phone!" Roger yells from his room.

"You get it!" 

"Roxanne, if you don't get that, I swear to god-" Rebecca joins in the yelling and John groans loudly in her ear. 

"Just answer it, love." 

Huffing, she blindly reaches over the arm of the couch, landing on the telephone in one go and she picks it up, "May-Taylor residence." 

"Roxanne?" 

"John? John Reid?" she questions, opening her eyes to look up at the clock on the wall. It was just past nine, "To what do we owe the pleasure?" 

"Is Brian there? John maybe? I need to talk to them. I've tried Freddie but his phone is off the hook. Please, it's important." 

All Roxy hears is important and she holds the phone over her shoulder for John, "It's for you." 

He reluctantly takes it from her, clearing his throat as she cuddles back into his warm body, "Hello?" 

He's quiet for a bit, listening to what Reid was saying and Roxanne is just starting to dose off again when he suddenly sits up, making her whine in protest. 

He holds up a finger, asking her as politely as he can, to be quiet, "America? I-they want us to..." 

This catches her attention as well and she too sits up. She watches his face light up in excitement and he starts nodding along to whatever their manager is saying. 

"Thank you," he breathes, "Yeah, 'm sure they'll be all for it but we'll head on over to Freddie's and get back to you." 

Reid says something on the other end of the line and then John is saying goodbye before hanging up the phone. 

He still doesn't say anything and when he looks at her, Roxy raises an eyebrow, "Well?" 

He runs a hand through his hair, "Mott the Hoople. They uh they-" 

"What?" she puts her hand on his arm, "They what?" 

John gives her a toothy grin, "They want us to tour America with them." 

"Shut up," her mouth drops open, "Shut-John, that's amazing!" 

He groans as she throws her arms around him, babbling excitedly (and loudly) in his ear and it isn't long until both Roger and Brian are making an appearance; Brian is dressed and looks somewhat ready for the day while Roger is stood there in his boxers scratching at his wild bed head.