nineteen

Two days later Roxanne finds herself stood on the steps of Biba - one of the only places that she knew had decent clothes and was in close proximity to her flat, preparing for what was going to most likely be a difficult task in finding something to wear on her date with John which was in five hours. 

She wasn't counting. 

She's hoping that Mary is working today. That would be ideal because Mary is fashionable and knows what looks good. Roxanne is not.

For it only being a little after nine in the morning, the shop is a lot busier than she had thought it would be and while she starts going through the racks of clothes, she keeps an eye and ear out for Mary.

She sticks mostly to the sale racks where she finds a couple of cute shirts, a pair of jeans and oh! a lovely striped jumpsuit that she just has to buy...

"Roxanne?" 

She spins around like a deer in headlights as Mary says her name, clutching said jumpsuit to her chest, "Mary!" 

"Hi," she greets, "What are you doing here? We've barely been open ten minutes." 

Roxanne doesn't really want to tell Mary that she's got a date with John. Somehow, Freddie would find out and then he'd tell Roger and although her cousin said that he'd be fine with it, she doesn't know if he was maybe just saying that because he maybe didn't think that Roxy would go out on a date with their bassist. 

She doesn't even know what they're doing on this date though she doesn't really care what they do. The could just go for a walk around London and Roxy would be happy. She just wanted to spend some time with John. 

"Roxanne?" 

Mary saying her name again makes her snap out of it and she gives the blonde a shrug, "You know, fancied a little look...thought I'd beat the crowds. Though that hasn't happened, has it?" 

Mary sighs, looking over her shoulder to the growing number of people, "Yeah, can't really do that when it's a sale week." 

Roxanne goes back to browsing through the racks, "I was actually wondering if you could help me." 

"Help you?"

She nods, "See, I'm looking for something that's smart but also casual. Something I could wear to a job interview - if I had one but also a party." 

Mary nods, "I'm sure I'll be able to find you something. Let me go have a look, okay? Just...wait here." 

She gives her a thumbs up, turning back to the current rack that she was going through but there's nothing jumping out at her. 

It's a little while until she hears Mary returning but she's talking with someone else and she freezes when she hears the familiar sound of her cousin's voice. 

"What do you mean she doesn't work Wednesdays?"  

"I don't know what to tell you, Roger but she's not here."

"But," she can hear the confusion in her cousin's voice, "Why would she lie to me?" 

"Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, Roger that Alyssa doesn't want to go out with you?" 

Great. Brian was here too?

"Piss off, Brian. Mary, you talked to her about me, right? I mean, you talked me up, yeah?"

"No." 

Roxanne snorts but she is curious. Who's Alyssa? So she decides to make her presence known and steps out from behind the rack she's going through, "Maybe she thinks you're ugly."