seventy.five

It was safe to say that lunch was definitely over once Roxanne's parents left. Lillian stuck around a little bit longer, making sure that Roxanne was okay and promising that she'd talk to them and try and get them to come around.

Rebecca and the rest of the band timidly made their way in around half an hour after Lillian had taken her leave and while they did their best to try and keep her spirits up for the rest of the day, all she wanted to do was go upstairs and curl up under a blanket.

John watches her as she goes up to their room and he can't help but feel himself getting angry again. 

"Hey," he turns to Roger as he sits down on the couch by him, "I didn't want to ask in front of Nessie. How bad was it?" 

John shakes his head, "You should have seen him laying into her, Rog. He really fucking went for it. They pretty much cut her off there and then." 

"You're joking." 

"We knew that it was going to be bad," he murmurs, "She warned me about that but Christ...now she's up there and I don't know how to help her." 

"You'll just have to be there for her, Darling," Freddie sits on the coffee table, "We all will." 

"Besides," Brian also joins in on the conversation, smushing himself into the tiny space between John and the end of the couch until both he and Roger shuffle over, "Your mum might be right. People react in different ways when they get life-changing news. Some get mad and some don't." 

"Maybe," John nods but he's not going to hold his breath. He stands up, "It's been a long day lads so if you excuse me, I'm going to have a shower and go to bed." 

The three of them call goodnights over their shoulders as he slowly climbs the stairs, sighing when he hears that the shower is already running - it must have been Rebecca.

So he goes into the bedroom he shares with Roxy, seeing that she's bundled up under the covers with a book in her hands. 

"Hi," he mumbles, closing the door behind him. 

She doesn't say anything; just gives him a smile before carrying on with her book. 

With a groan, John lays down beside her, putting his hands behind his head as he closes his eyes and it's not long before he hears her book being shut and then he feels Roxanne's arm wrap around his waist.

"Today went badly, didn't it?" she asks, stating the obvious.

"Well, it didn't go well, did it?" 

She shakes her head, "I've...I've never seen him so angry. Not since..." 

"Roger broke his foot?" 

"Exactly," 

His hand toys with the bottom of her hair, "Are you going to share with the class or?" 

"Oh," she laughs, "It was back when we were around seven, maybe eight and at the time. My dad had this three-door car, y'know, the ones with the seat release so you can get into the back?" 

"Mhm," 

"We'd come back from getting some shopping and Roger had forgotten one of his toys in the back seat and so he climbs back to get it. But instead of using the lever to move the seat, he just climbed in between them. Long story short, he stood on the handbrake and the car started rolling down the hill but before it did, it ran over my dad's foot." 

"That shouldn't do that," John murmurs, "It should have been locked into place."

"We know that now. Realised that dad hadn't put it on properly."