seventy four

The first few weeks of 1976 were not what Roxanne expected. The biggest shock, was that Mary Austin and Freddie Mercury were no longer a couple.

When she hadn't seen Mary in weeks, Roxanne just had a feeling that something wasn't right and after another two weeks of awkwardness whenever they were together, her theory was proven.

Freddie had arrived close to midnight, overnight bag in hand and looking awfully upset. John was still and so Roxanne had ushered him in, sat him down and he'd explained everything.

John came home to him passed out on the couch with a blanket draped over him.

Roxanne had also thought that maybe she and John would get to have a little bit of time to just relax, let them enjoy at least a little bit of her pregnancy before he went back to work after the holidays. 

But no.

She had known that the band would have to start going back to meetings and whatever they had to do in preparation of recording their fifth album but she hadn't expected that to be right after the new year. 

Technically, they weren't actually recording it right now (they still had promo for A Night at the Opera to do in Japan, which was where they would be jetting off to in a couple of weeks) but they had writing sessions, run-throughs and all that other stuff. 

She knew that it had to be done and so she thought that at least they'd have weekends. 

They did not. 

No, during weekends, John was at the house all day, doing his best to have it finished before the baby came and sometimes, he didn't get back to the flat until midnight. 

Roxanne knew that the house was now a top priority but she felt as if she hadn't seen him properly in weeks. She missed her boyfriend dammit.

It wasn't until a week later, on one of the rare days through the week that John didn't have to go to the studio that Roxanne got her wish and would be getting to spend an entire day with him. 

Just her luck to be feeling like absolute shit. 

"What do you want to do today?" John asks quietly as they make some breakfast for the three of them. Yes, Freddie was still staying with them and was still fast asleep on the couch, "I could try and get us some reservations someplace if you want to go out." 

"Bit short notice is it not?" 

He shrugs, "Maybe. But I'm sure I can get somewhere. Could try that place you like? Annie's?" 

"It's alright," she shakes her head, giving him a weak smile, "Probably wouldn't get through the first course without being sick."

He frowns. She did look rather pale.

"Are you alright?" he asks, placing the back of his hand against her forehead, "You feel a little warm." 

"I'm fine," she waves his hand away, "It's just a headache." 

"Are you sure?" he asks again and she nods, "Alright. Do you want to go lie down?" 

She rests her head on his shoulder, "We've barely seen each other." 

"I know," he kisses her forehead, "I know, love but if you're not feeling well..." 

He feels her sigh against him, pulling back to see her squeezing her eyes shut, "Maybe a lie down wouldn't hurt." 

"Okay," he says softly, kissing her cheek before letting her pass by him, "I'll bring you some water and some paracetamol." 

"Thank you," she replies and not five seconds later, the door closes.