forty nine

The following week, after finishing her early shift, Roxanne met John, Mary and the rest of the band outside the diner so they could make their way to Europa Records to see if they had any of their records on sale yet.

They could have gone to John's work but he didn't want to give them the money he earned back.

Entering the store, Roxanne grabs Mary's hand and pulled her over to the new release section while John joined Roger and Brian over at the rock area.

"This is so exciting," Mary gushes when they're joined by Freddie and he kisses her cheek.

"I just hope they have it,"

"They will," Roxy squeezes his arm and the shop assistant approaches them and asks if they'd like any help.

She leaves Mary to go stand by John, who's flicking his way through the rock section with the other two.

"Bet they've not got it," Roger huffs, giving up looking and she takes over while rolling her eyes.

"They'll have it, Rog."

And they did have it and it was Mary who was the one to find it.

"Here it is!" she exclaims and the other five quickly crowded around her, "Oh Freddie, it's amazing!"

The band weren't buying it - that would be silly considering that the label would be giving each of them one.

But that didn't mean that Roxanne couldn't buy it. She picks up another of the few that are there and flips it over so she can look at the back; there are countless little photos of the four of them, some that she hasn't seen before.

She points to one that looks like it was taken in someone's living room, "None of you look too comfortable."

Brian peers over her shoulder, "That's because we weren't."

"Why do you look like you're high in every single one of these, Rog?" she asks and Roger snatches it out of her hands.

"I couldn't see the camera."

Taking the record back, Roxanne reads the back of it, where tells people who the band are and clears her throat, "Queen are Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Deacon- wait, why is your name Deacon John?"

Her boyfriend shrugs and scratches the back of his neck, "Foster said that it made me sound cooler."

She tuts, "That's ridiculous, there's nothing wrong with your name. He's an idiot. I mean, who even calls their child Deacon?"

John smiles while Roger snorts, "Everyone will think Deaky's parents did."

He winces when Roxy elbows him in the stomach, "Don't get me started on you, Roger Meddows Taylor? Just had to get that middle name in there, didn't you?"

"That is my name, Nessie." he huffs, taking the record from her to put it back on the shelf.

"What are you doing?" she picks it up again, "I'm buying it."

"Really?" John asks, following her towards the tills.

She nods, handing over the money when the man behind the counter tells her the total, "And I'm going to have you sign it. It'll be worth a fortune someday."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Rox," Brian chuckles and the man hands the record back to her, looking at them curiously.

"This is your record?"

"It sure is," Roxanne confirms, "You're looking at what is going to be one of the bigg-hey!"

Brian covers her mouth with her hand, "Ignore her. She's a bit excitable."

She shrugs him off, "Well it's true."

Ten minutes later, both she and Mary walk out of there as proud owners of Queen and as they head home, Roxanne looks over her shoulder at the band, "You'll sign it, right?"

"I will," Roger says immediately, making her laugh.

Of course he will.

++|++

As always, John came round to her house for dinner and after they'd eaten, he was doing the dishes and Roxy thought that this was the absolutely perfect time to play the album for the first time. She couldn't wait any longer.

"Really?"

She turns to see John leaning against the doorframe, drying his hands off with a towel, "You're putting it on?"

"Yes!" she replies, letting the needle fall gently onto the record and she grins when Keep Yourself Alive starts emitting from the speaker.

John grabs his wine from the kitchen and moves back through to sit on the couch, watching her tap her feet to the drums.

Flipping the cover over in her hands, Roxanne sings along quietly as she looks over the pictures on the back once more and she smiles as she runs her finger over Freddie's signature. Which reminded her...

John almost spills his wine when she jumps over the back of the couch, taking the sleeve from her when she hands it over to him, "What?"

She holds up the silver marker she'd bought so they could sign it - there was no point in using a regular black one since they wouldn't be able to see it, "Please?"

"Why?" he laughs, setting his glass on the table as she pulls the cap off.

"I told you," Roxanne smiles, leaning on his shoulder as he scribbles his name for her, "It'll be worth a fortune. Which will be handy if things go south for us."

"Oh, I see how it is," he laughs, "You're going to leave me if we get big and famous?" 

"When," she corrects, getting up to return the sleeve to where it belongs, "And when you do, it'll be you who's leaving me." John almost spills his drink a second time when she drapes her arms around his shoulders as she stands behind him, "All those pretty girls throwing themselves at you. Whatever shall I do?" 

He tilts his head back so he can look at her, "Don't think you'll have to worry about that, love." 

"Oh shush," she kisses his cheek, "They're going to love you and they'll all be heartbroken when they find out that little ol' me is waiting for you back at home." 

John shakes his head; it was early days and she's going on as if they've had a number one. As if they play gigs to thousands of people. 

But, John thinks, they can dream. 

++|++

idk why but i am really struggling to write smut for this damn story. i always think i'm on the right track and then for some stupid reason, i can't bring myself to do it. i think it's because i think of John as a sweet little innocent when we know he really is not. his army of children proves that

heads up that there will be a little bit of a time jump next chapter!