fifteen

They arrive in Pittenweem just after three that afternoon - with Brian's route and the fact that Roger drove like an absolute madman, no one was surprised that they made good time.

"This is delightful," Freddie muses, as Brian drives down the quiet road that took them toward the harbour, towards the B&B.

"It's alright," Roxy shrugs from the front seat that she had been promoted to just after they'd crossed the border, "Oh, see that shop there, Freddie? It's a charity shop and I think you'd love some of the stuff they have."

"Well, perhaps Rog and I can have a little look-"

"No," Roger says immediately, poking his head between the seats, "No. We're getting her shit, possibly getting some fish and chips and then we're going back down to London. I have better things to be doing with my Saturday nights...I could give you their names."

John lets out a disgusted noise, "Just let us know when we've to turn, Roxanne."

"I will," she promises, kneeling on the seat to look at her cousin, ignoring Brian's scold of put your seatbelt on, "Are you looking forward to seeing my mum and dad?"

"Your mum, yes. Your dad? Not so much. 'm not gonna lie, Nessie, I think he might punch me for taking you away."

"You're not taking me away, Roger. Me leaving was going to happen sometime. You just...gave me a nudge. Oh, turn here, Bri!"

They turn off of the high street onto the quiet road that leads to the harbour, the sight of fishing boats and the smell of sea air made her smile. This was home.

"Right at the bottom," she instructs, feeling her hands starting to clam up when her parents B&B comes into view, "You can just park wherever."

"You weren't kidding when you said it was right on the water," John says as they all climb out, "Aren't you worried about the waves?"

"Those stormy nights are fun," Roxy grins, slamming the door shut and she swears she sees Roger flinch. She looks up at the clouds, "And it looks as if there could be one tonight."

"She can tell just by looking at the sky?" Freddie asks Roger, who shrugs and follows her as she crosses the narrow one-way street to get to the bed and breakfast.

"I think I'd like living here," John calls as he grabs his backpack from the back of the van before following the rest of them, Roxanne looking over his shoulder as he catches up to Freddie, "Might move up here when I retire and am grey and old. When I just want to be left alone and don't want to put up with anything or anyone."

Roxanne smiles, "Maybe I'll be your neighbour."

"Maybe you'll be his wife," Roger mutters but the only person who hears him, is Brian and he only gives him a knowing smile in return.

As Roxanne puts her hand on the door handle, it swings open and a woman, quite obviously her mum, rushes past her, heading straight for Roger.

"Oh look at you!" she grins, wrapping him up in a hug, "Oh, Roger you've gotten so handsome!"

Roger loves his Aunt Cathy. Always has. While they were growing up, while Roxanne's dad was always strict and proper, she would let them get away with murder sometimes, would sneak them sweets and take them out for ice cream.

Roxanne looks from the embracing pair to the boys, "What just happened?"

"Oh, hush lass. We haven't seen Roger in years. Greg! Get down here!"

Both Roxanne and Roger get nervous when they hear footsteps on the floorboards upstairs but her mum gives both of their shoulders gentle squeezes.

"Don't worry. He's calmed down."