fifty seven

"I really don't see why you're worried about this, love."

Today was the day that Mrs Deacon (Lillian but Roxanne was planning on using formalities in person until told otherwise) would be visiting and she was in two words, freaking out.

Since she was working until two and John's mum would already be there by the time she finished, Roxy had spent the majority of yesterday scrubbing the flat until it was spotless and before she went home, she'd be going back to the shops to get some fancy biscuits as well.

She doesn't reply to John, which makes him sigh, "Rox-"

Looking up from the money she's trying to count, she groans, "I'm worrying that she won't like me. This is your mum, John - the most important woman in your life and if she doesn't like me..."

"One of the most important women in my life," he corrects and she gives him a weak smile before collecting up all the notes and heading for the office and after taking a quick glance around the diner to see that it was mostly still empty, John slides off of his stool and follows.

He knows that she has to lock the door when she's dealing with money and so he waits patiently until he hears her unlocking it, giving her a small smile before he's stepping into the room and she frowns when he closes it again.

"Why are you worried about this?" he asks again and she shrugs, "Love, I-"

"It's just," he stops to let her speak.

"Go on."

She crosses her arms, "You always speak so highly of her, how amazing she was when you were growing up and how she still is! I just...what if she doesn't like me, John?"

"Come here," he whispers, stepping forward to wrap his arms around her, "Listen to me, yeah?"

She nods.

"She's going to love you. 'm telling you, I bet by the time she leaves, you'll be talking as if you've known each other."

"You think?"

"I know," he nods, resting his hands on her cheeks so he can smush them together gently, "Who wouldn't love this face?"

"John!" she laughs, pushing his hand away and he smiles, happy to see that she's relaxing, "What time is she getting here?"

"Her train gets in at one. She was going to drive down but I said that she'd be better getting the train for the traffic. We'll get a taxi back from the station."

"Don't be silly. Taxis are extortionate," Roxy tuts, going over to her jacket, "Take the car. It's supposed to be a dry afternoon but if it does rain, I've got a brolly."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive,"

++|++

By the time the end of her shift came around, Roxanne wasn't feeling any better about the impending meeting that was awaiting her when she got home. She honestly couldn't tell you why she was so nervous.

John had met her parents and they loved him - everyone did. It really wasn't hard to love John though, he just had that way about him.

She's just glad that she's going to the shop. That'll give her a little more time to get herself to calm the fuck down.

As she's walking though, she spots a very familiar blonde sat at one of the bus stops, the one that's across from Darnell's, 'reading' a newspaper and every couple of moments, he peers over the top of it, looking into the window of the small café.