fifty one

john's little eyebrow raise in this gif is everything

++|++

John didn't come back to the flat until way after Roxy got home from work - it must have been around nine and when he did, she was reading a book with David Bowie playing in the background.

She looks up as he comes through the front door, giving her a little wave before he makes his way through to the bedroom and she hears him drop his shoes to the floor with a thud.

She doesn't follow straight away though. No - she waits a little bit, trying to work out the best way she can tell him that she won't be able to go with him to America.

She'd asked when she got to work about the holidays that she was entitled to and Danny said exactly what she thought he'd stay - she had some to use but he wouldn't let her take it all in one big chunk. Besides, she'd sat down when she'd gotten home and did the maths and as she thought, it just wouldn't be feasible.

Of course, Roxanne could be worrying about nothing because John hasn't even asked her to go yet and he might not. Though Roger had asked Rebecca and she was sure he'd probably ask her sometime tonight.

She finally gets up from the couch and both Caper and Amos are quick to leap up and take her spot, making her glare at the two of them, "Would you jump in my grave as quick?"

John's laying starfished on the bed, peeking one eye open as she enters the room and he smiles at her, "Hiya,"

"Hi," she murmurs and she suspects that maybe they've had a bit more than the champagne from this morning, "You alright?"

He nods, "I know what you're thinking, love but I only had a couple."

"I'm not thinking anything," Roxy shrugs, a smile tugging at her lips as he pats the small space beside him.

"Come lay with me."

He looks so comfortable and warm so she doesn't resist and John scoots over so she's got some more room and when she's curled up beside him, he kisses her forehead.

They lie silently for a few minutes before Roxy peers up at him, seeing that he's staring intently at the ceiling.

"What are you thinking about?" she whispers, feeling guilty that she'd disturbed the silence.

He shrugs, "Can't quite believe that this is going to be our life. That we're going to America to play our music for people."

"You better believe it," she giggles, "It's happening!"

He grins and they fall silent again and John plays with the ends of her hair.

"Roger has asked Becca to come," he mumbles a little bit later and Roxy's fingers still where she's trailing them up and down his arm, "And Freddie's asked Mary of course...do you want to come?"

She turns and presses her forehead against his side, closing her eyes as he laughs.

"Rox, what are you doing?"

She wants to go. Of course she does but at this exact moment in time, it's just not possible and she doesn't want to tell him no because he's so excited and she knows that it's going to break his heart.

"Hey," John gently lifts her chin, frowning when he sees her torn expression, "Hey, what's wrong? Do-do you not want to come?"

She shakes her head, "It's not that, John. It's not. I just- I can't. I can't afford-"

"The ticket? Is that what you're worried about? Don't, the label said that they'll take care of all that." he smiles and she shakes her head.

"I still can't go, John."