twenty eight

John and Roger stayed with her the entire night, well, they all did, camped out in the already crowded hospital waiting room until the doctors did their tests and afterwards, they all somehow managed to sneak into Roxy's room.

"How is she?" Brian asks, looking at the machines that are by her bed.

"Waiting for the results. They're letting her sleep it off." Roger mumbles, placing his hand on Alyssa's when she rests hers on his shoulder, "But from what you told them, they think you're right."

John stays quiet, keeping his gaze on Roxanne, who is still sleeping and he keeps her hand held tightly in his own.

He should have been with her, not outside smoking.

"You lot don't have to stay," Roger says, running a hand through his wild hair, "The doctor said she'll probably be out until morning at least."

John shakes his head, pulling his chair closer to the bed, "I'm not going anywhere." He feels Roger's eyes on him, looking up just briefly, "I'm not going."

"Alright," the blonde concedes.

"We're not going either," Mary says softly, "Not until we know she's alright."

And so the six of them settle in for the night; Alyssa and Mary taking the small couch that's pushed up against the wall while Brian and Freddie make themselves comfortable on the floor and it isn't long until someone's speaking again and that someone, is Mary.

"She will be alright, won't she?"

"Yeah," Roger says immediately, looking down at his cousin, "She's going to be fine."

"How did it happen?" Alyssa asks, "I mean, we...no one was on their own for long."

"That's just it," Brian looks at her, "It only takes a second to do it, doesn't it? All someone needs to do is drop it in her glass as she's walking by."

The two women shudder and Fred reaches up a hand to rest on Mary's knee while John continues to keep his focus on Roxanne, tracing little patterns on the back of her hand.

It was going to be a long night.

++|++

They take it in turns sitting with her throughout the night; alternating out of Roger's chair but John stays put. He stays awake, watching as Roxanne occasionally turns over in her sleep but doesn't wake, which Brian says is a good sign because the drugs must be leaving her system if she can move.

Eventually, Mary manages to coax him away from her bedside, telling him that he needs to get some fresh air or possibly something to eat and drink.

"The rest of us are going to pop down to the canteen," she says, looking over her shoulder at Freddie.

"'m not leaving her alone," he mumbles.

"I'm staying," Brian puts a hand on his shoulder, "I've been down. I'll stay, mate."

And so John goes, leaning down to press a kiss to her forehead before he does.

He follows after the group as they head outside, digging around in his pockets to find his cigarettes and out the corner of his eye, he sees Alyssa lead Roger a little bit further away from the rest of them, where she wraps her arms around his torso, letting him hide his face in her neck.

He can't imagine how he's feeling right now.

Meanwhile, back in the hospital room, Brian's halfway through his newspaper when out of the corner of his eye, he sees Roxanne shifting about on the bed.