sixty seven

In the two days that she's been here, Roxanne has witnessed three arguments, Freddie walking out in a strop and Roger locking himself in a cupboard for two hours which had tied in with one of the arguments. 

She quite liked being there though, the place was incredibly picturesque and when the sun was shining, she and Rebecca would go outside and sit on the loungers while the boys attempted to play some tennis.

Nine times out of ten, John would be up and in the studio with the others before she'd even so much as stirred but on Saturday, she's pleasantly surprised to see that when she wakes up, he's still fast asleep beside her.

Carefully, so she doesn't wake him, she climbs over him, out of the small bed so she can head upstairs and make everyone some breakfast - Paul had gone shopping the previous day and so there were finally enough provisions to make something decent for them to eat. 

Roxy wanders into the kitchen to see Brian sat at the table with his guitar and in front of him is a sheet of paper. 

"Hey," she says softly, not wanting to startle him. 

"Morning," he replies, putting his guitar down gently before he gets up, "Tea?" 

"I'll get it," she waves a hand, "Sit down, Brian. Don't let me disturb you." 

He smiles, watching as she crosses the room to the kettle and he picks up the guitar again and goes back to his song. 

"You're up early," she notes, turning to lean against the counter.

"I couldn't sleep," he admits, absentmindedly plucking one of the strings, "So I came down here." 

He continues to scribble down lyrics and notes as she prepares her tea quietly but he looks up when, without him asking her to even make him one, she puts one down in front of him, "You didn't have to-" 

"I know," she shrugs, "But I was making one anyway. What are you working on?" 

"It's a song," he says softly, scratching his nose, "I've had the idea for a while but never done anything with it." 

"Can I?" she nods to the paper. 

"Of course," he slides it over to her and she wordlessly skims over it.

"I've only got the first verse and a chorus...it's getting there." 

"I like it," she hums, "What's it called?" 

"Haven't thought of that yet," he smiles. 

Roxanne reads the lyrics again, "What about thirty-nine? It's in the first line and it looks to be a main focus of the song..." she trails off as Brian stares at the paper, "It's just a suggestion, like." 

"No, that's a good suggestion," he murmurs, scribbling '39 up at the top of the page with a question mark beside it. 

"Are you going to put it up for the album?" 

He shrugs, "I'm not sure. I don't really think that it'd be Fred's cup of tea." 

"Well," Roxanne takes a sip from her mug, "Why don't you sing it? I mean, Roger's song is going on and I don't really see Freddie singing about being in love with a car." 

"Please don't get me started on that," Brian shakes his head, "Idiot." 

"I'm just saying," Roxy grins as they hear the rest of the house start to stir, "Maybe it's worth thinking about." 

++|++

"So when are you going to tell your mum and dad?" Rebecca asks as she and Roxanne take a walk into the nearby village.