fifty three

John rang from the States every two or three days. It all depended on when they would be stopping to fill up the buses but Roxy didn't mind.

Any call was enough for her.

He sounded as if he was enjoying it - he said that they were selling out every night, that the crowds seemed to enjoy their music.

They'd been gone for almost two weeks now and surprisingly, Roxanne was finding it easier than she thought but having worked almost every day was probably the reason for that - she had something to take her mind off of them being gone.

Today, however, was her day off and since it was Wednesday so she was looking forward to seeing the girls later on for what would be their second night out together.

Last week, Kayla had heard of some new fancy hotel named The Prism that had opened in the posher part of the city and so they'd decided to go there and see what it was like but when they saw how much it was for a glass (yes, a glass) of wine, they swiftly made their exit.

But until then, Roxanne concentrated on cleaning the flat, playing with the cats and then when she was sure that the post had been, she went down to collect it, surprised to see that her mailbox was full of little brown packages - nine to be exact.

Confused, she pulls one out and opens it. It's a magnet with New Orleans on it and she grins when she realises that it must be from John.

But surely he hasn't sent all of these...

Gathering the rest into her arms and the actual letters she'd gotten as well, she returns back upstairs and thankfully, Amos is sleeping and so she has no trouble getting back into the flat.

She drops the packages down onto the coffee table and sits down before she starts ripping them open, another grin spreading onto her face when she realises she was right - they were all from John and by the time she's got them all open, she's got fridge magnets from Denver, St Lois, Kansas City, Boston, Oklahoma City, Boston, Memphis, Portland, New Orleans and Providence.

"Oh, John," she breathes, looking at the little note that fell out of one of them, "Why are you so lovely?"

++|++

"Are you really going to send her another one of those?" Brian asks, raising an eyebrow as John looks through the magnets and other stuff that is on sale in the gas station.

They were on their way through Connecticut, travelling through the night to the Waterbury Palace Theatre which is where they'd be performing tomorrow night.

"Yeah," John replies to Brian's question, "I buy her one in every city and send them over."

"Mate, you're going to be skint."

He shrugs and decides against buying one here - none of them are as pretty as the ones he's already sent, "That doesn't bother me. She loves tat like this and I know they'll make her happy."

They look up at the door as Roger joins them, "Alright?"

"How's Rebecca?"

"Not happy that I woke her up," the blonde laughs, "I forgot about the time difference."

"How was girl's night?" John asks, "What did they do?"

He shrugs, "I'm not sure. We didn't get that far in the conversation."

"I'll ring tomorrow," John murmurs, looking up again when there's a light knock on the window - it's Freddie, telling them that the bus is ready to set off again.

John and Roger quickly buy their cigarettes and Brian gets some drinks for them before they all pile back onto the vehicle.

It's a decent size vehicle but for the four of them, it's a bit cramped and it didn't take long for them to start tripping over each other's stuff.