seventeen

Roxanne is the first of the group up the next morning and after having a shower, she practically floats down the stairs into the kitchen, where her mum is reading the newspaper and her dad is stood at the cooker.

"Morning," she chirps, opening the cupboard where they keep the coffee and flicks on the kettle.

"Morning," her dad mumbles, "Was one of your friends down having something to eat last night? I came down to an absolute mess this morning."

"Oh," Roxy makes up her mug, "That was me, sorry. I was hungry when we got home last night and I must have forgotten to clean up before I went to bed. Sorry."

He huffs and returns his gaze to the bacon that he's cooking in a pan, "I made some bacon for the lot of you. If you're wanting to get on the toad as soon as possible, you'll need to work fast."

He throws the pan in the sink and already, Roxy knows that he's in a foul mood - she doesn't know why but so as not to add fuel to the fire, she doesn't tell him that Brian doesn't eat meat. She'll make him something if he wants something when he wakes up.

She's the only one out of the three to hear the front door open and close and when she looks down the hallway, she really isn't surprised to see that it's Roger, still in his kilt, attempting to sneak in. She winces when he throws her keys onto the table that is by the door but luckily, her parents don't bat an eyelid which means they didn't hear it.

She shuts the kitchen door over behind her as she goes to stop him before he can go upstairs.

"Morning, Nessie," he greets quietly, "You alright?"

"Fine," she nods, raising a hand to wipe some lipstick from the corner of his mouth, "Good night?"

He laughs, ruffling her hair as he starts climbing the stairs, "I don't kiss and tell, Rox. 'm gonna go shower and then take half an hour, alright?"

She nods, "Half an hour, Roger and then we really need to start getting my things ready to go."

He covers his ears with his hands, making her sigh, "We will, alright? It'll be fine and then we'll be on our way back home."

She lets him go this time, leaning against the wall as he reaches the top of the stairs only to run into John who's come around the corner, the blonde patting him on the back as he passes by.

She feels her stomach flutter as he comes down the stairs, smiling up at him when he comes to  a halt beside her, "Morning."

"Morning," he says softly, "Rog had a good night then?"

"Must have," she nods, "I know I did."

He grins, a light pink spreading across his cheeks, "Me too."

Unconsciously, they'd gotten closer to one another and John leans down to kiss her cheek, "I meant what I said last night."

"Oh yeah?" she teases, a little smile on her face, "And what was that?"

"Roxanne," he laughs, scratching the back of his neck, "Can I? Take you out when we get back to London?"

She smiles again, bumping her nose gently against his, "Yes. I'd love that."

He practically leaps away from her when the kitchen door swings open and her mum pops her head out, "John! Good morning, son."

"Mrs Taylor," he greets with a wave, "Morning."

"Please," she says, waving her hands on her apron, "Call me Cathy. Come get some breakfast before it gets cold."

He nods, looking down at Roxy once she's back in the kitchen, "After you, love."

++|++

Like she had said last night, a storm had indeed blown in and the rain was still hammering down long after the rest of the boys got up - even Roger made a brief appearance at breakfast after Freddie had let Casper into his room, grimacing at the pale looking baking that his uncle had prepared for them.

She had made Brian something like she said she would and with the amount that the others had eaten, she was sure that her mum and dad were going to have to take a trip to the supermarket to stock up on supplies for the guests who were going to be arriving later on after they'd left.

Now they were finally packing up her things; well four of them were. Freddie was too busy playing with the cat to actually help.

Brian and Roxy were packing up her records while John and Roger were dismantling her bed.

"I don't think it's going to all fit in the van," Brian frowns and Roger pops his head up from behind the headboard.

"I told you that. I told you that with all this shit-"

"Language!" he hears his uncle call from another room.

"With all this shit," Roger lowers his voice, "And two in the back with said shit, it wouldn't fi-wait, Nessie?"

She looks up, "Hm?"

"You're taking your car down, right?" she nods, "We'll have to put some in there then."

And they did; they packed as much shit as they could into her red Viva, taking up the back seats and all of the boot space.

"Roger, Casper will have to go in the van with you," she tells him as she shut the boot.

"Is he in a cage?"

There's a growl from the carry case that Freddie is holding, "Yes."

"Fine."

"Don't you worry my little darling," Freddie murmurs, setting the case down on the van so he could look inside, "You'll love your new home."

"That's everything!" they hear John call from what was her room and Roger slams the doors to the van shut.

"Great, let's go."

"Hang on," Roxanne mumbles, "Need to say goodbye first, don't I?"

"I'm not doing that," he shakes his head, "'m too hungover for that. Bri, Freddie, I'll be in the van."

"Charming," Freddie says, putting the carry case down so he can kiss her mother on the cheek, "Thank you for having us, Cathy. And taking care of us."

Greg hugs Roxanne tightly, "Take care of yourself. Don't go walking around at night on your own and if you ever want to come back home, you can."

"Thanks, dad," she smiles, looking over her shoulder at Roger's van, where he's currently trying to annoy Casper through the gaps of the case while Freddie smacks his hand away and Brian tries to get them to stop. Then her eyes meet John's. He's standing by her car, waiting patiently for her and he gives her a shy smile. She knows she won't be coming back, there's so much for her down there.

Her mum hugs her tightly, telling her to ring them as soon as she got back to let them know that they'd gotten there safe and she nods, kissing her cheek before she's walking towards her car.

John stands straighter as she reaches him, opening the door for her which she smiles at.

"Thank you."

"You alright?" he asks once he's in the passenger seat, seeing her glancing out of her rearview mirror and she looks at him.

"Yeah, was just wanting to take a minute."

But Roger doesn't let her, pressing on the horn twice to let her know that they weren't waiting any longer and John shakes his head.

"He's such an arse sometimes."