sixty six

John stares at her.

He didn't hear that right, did he? Did she really say that she was pregnant? She's going to be having his baby?

His mind goes blank and all he can do, is fucking stare at her.

Say something, he pleads, say something you idiot!

"Pregnant?"

That's it, that's the first word out. Good job!

She nods.

And now he's feeling sick. Or is he going to pass out? Yeah, he's gonna pass out.

"John?" she asks, putting her hand on his arm when she sees his face get a whole lot paler, "John?"

"Pregnant," he repeats for a second time, "I-uh, I think I need to sit down."

"Oh," Roxanne looks around for somewhere for him, looking over his shoulder as the door to the barn cracks open slightly and one of those uncomfortable chairs on wheels is pushed out. She grabs it and positioned it behind him, "Here."

He falls heavily onto it, running a hand down his face as he stares at the white stick that's in his hand, "How?" he asks, looking up at her, "Well, I know how but...we used protection, Rox. We're careful, we-"

He stops when he hears movement from the door behind him and knowing that Freddie is probably listening.

They can't talk here.

"Come on," he mumbles, gently taking her hand so he can lead her towards the house where he leads her by Rog and Becca who are in the living room and downstairs into what is supposed to be his bedroom.

As Roxanne is looking around the tiny space, John can feel how tight she's holding his hand - she's terrified to, he has to remember that.

"Please," he murmurs, gesturing for her to take a seat on his bed, which she does.

"How'd you end up down here?" she asks.

"Youngest gets the shittiest room apparently," he mutters. He knows that she doesn't really care. She's just trying to put off the very important conversation they have to have, "So..."

She looks at him.

"When did you find out?"

"Today," she replies, "About three hours ago maybe."

"You came straight here?" he asks.

"Pretty much," she nods, "I had a cry, a mini freakout but I knew that I had to come...you had to know and I didn't want to do it over the phone."

John sits next to her with a frown on his face, "You shouldn't have had to go through that on your own, love."

"Kayla was with me when I took it," she shrugs, "Well, she wasn't in the bathroom with me but she did sit with me afterwards."

He nods, that's something at least, "Do you know how far along?"

"No," she turns so she's facing him, "Not exactly. 'm thinking maybe a month. I'll need to make an appointment."

John stays quiet, adding up numbers and he only looks down at her when he feels Roxy rest her hand on his leg.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't," he says softly, wrapping his arms around her, "Don't say sorry. It's not on you, Rox, okay? It's not. I knew we should have got the branded condoms...cheap shite."

She huffs out a laugh against his neck and when he realised that she's not leaving the embrace, he moves them so that they're laying down and from where she's got her head on his chest, he can see her peering up at him.