what best friends are for

i'm in love with james marriott and keanu reeves

❇️

"happy birthday, dallon!"

dallon faked a smile as his friends gave him hugs and kisses on the cheek. everybody flooded into the living room, but brendon stayed by his side.

brendon wrapped his arm around dallon's back and looked at him. "what are you gonna do now that you're thirty?"

dallon just shrugged.

he never told anybody because he thought it was dumb, but he'd always wanted a perfect kiss. he still hasn't had it and he's thirty, which means it's probably never going to happen. because of this, he concluded that he's an unattractive, boring man.

"i kinda just want to never leave my house again."

brendon snorted. "mood."

oh, if only he knew how true it was.

they both sat on the loveseat and watched as the others fought over what movie should be played. back to the future was the ultimate choice and there were only minimal complaints from pete.

about halfway through, dallon excused himself and headed to the backyard. he sat on the patio couch and stared at the sky as he started mumbling to himself.

"why am i feeling so depressed over this?"

"it's such a stupid thing to be sad about."

"face it, it's never gonna happen, so just forget about it and move on move your actually important priorities."

"hey." dallon snapped out of his thoughts and looked at brendon who was walking closer. "what's on your mind?"

dallon just sighed and went back to looking at the peachy pink sky. "nothing."

"hey, no. come on, i've been your best friend for like, ever. i know when you're stressing over something. plus i heard you talking to yourself. what is it?" brendon pushed dallon over a bit and sat in the couch next to him.

dallon shook his head. "don't worry about it, it's stupid."

"no problem you'll ever have could ever be stupid, no matter how much it seems so. lay it on me."

"i... okay. don't laugh. but.. i- i'm.. scared. that i'll never have the perfect kiss." dallon slid low in his seat and rubbed his eyes. he actually laughed as he continued talking. "it's so dumb."

"no it is not, you grumpy old man."

dallon just sighed and shook his head, not noticing that brendon scooted closer so their thighs were touching. "have you ever had the perfect kiss?"

"yeah.. remember ryan?" dallon nodded, remembering their mutual quiet, guarded childhood friend. "yeah, he was my everything. then.. you know."

dallon wrapped his arm around brendon's shoulders. "love ya, best friend."

when he didn't get a reply, he looked at the smaller man who seemed to be staring at nothing in thought.

"brendon?"

his head shot up and his eyes were wide. "hm?"

"nothing, never mind. come on let's go back inside, it's getting dark." brendon smiled and they headed back in the house.

after a few hours of pointless chatter and a few presents, everybody but brendon left. both he and dallon stayed up later until brendon sat up and looked at the time on the analog clock hanging next to the front door.

brendon turned on the lamp and looked at his best friend. "holy shit, it's three in the morning."

dallon squinted at the sudden light and rubbed his eyes. "hmm?"

"we've been watching doctor who for over four hours." dallon just shrugged and put his head back down in his pillow.

"i have to go, i need to get up for work in a few hours."

dallon pouted. "nooo, don't leave meee..." brendon shook his head. "i need to."

dallon huffed and sat up. "fine, let me walk you out." he paused the show and they both stood up. they both walked out the front door to brendon's car.

they hugged tightly and rocked back and forth. brendon smiled as he whispered to dallon, "happy birthday, best friend."

dallon smiled and kissed brendon's cheek. "thank you."

dallon released his friend from his hold and turned to leave. before he went far, brendon stumbled after him and grabbed his arm.

dallon looked back at him.

"what-"

the younger man pulled his face down towards his own and gave him a very hard kiss. dallon unintentionally tugged himself back but brendon kept a tight grip on the sides of his neck to make him stay still.

he softened the kiss slightly and stepped closer so they weren't at such an awkward distance. they fell into a slow rhythm and the older couldn't help but put his hands on brendon's waist.

they pulled apart just an inch and stared each other in the eyes.

brendon bit his lip and his eyes lowered to dallon's own lips. "was that good?"

dallon swallowed hard and nodded.

"it was perfect... can.. can you do it again?"

brendon smiled.

"only if you agree to go out with me after i finish work."

"i think i can do that."

he smiled wider.

"it's a date."

"now kiss me again please."

❇️

see it was good up until the end