you found me!

october 31st, 1994

after two hours of going from house to house, holding a plastic pumpkin bucket with next to no candy or treats inside, brendon trudged down the sidewalk and up to the front door of his home. he squinted as he looked at a note taped below the peephole.

daddy and i have gone to the store, we'll back in a couple hours, so go play with your friends

              love, mommy xo

brendon sniffled pathetically and winced as a hot tear rolled into a fresh cut high up on his cheek. he plopped down onto the cold stone steps and crumpled up the piece of paper, throwing it into the rose bush next to him. he set the bucket down next to him and pulled his scraped knees up to his chest, hugging them tightly. he watched the other kids go up and down the sidewalks, going from door to door and screaming, "trick or treat!"

he sat there for nearly five minutes, sulking and crying until he noticed a brown-haired boy dressed as a vampire sitting on the curb in front of his house, with an empty bucket laying on its side next to him. he wiped his nose and rubbed the tears away from his cut and bruised cheeks and grabbed the few pieces of candy he got before standing up and walking over to the other boy.

the boy must have heard his steps, because he looked up at brendon with a small, uninterested frown. brendon smiled and sat down next to him without a word. he handed a piece of candy to the other boy and unwrapped his own, reading the little message written on the inside of the wrapper.

let's be friends!

he put the little candy in his small mouth and looked expectantly at the strange boy. the boy said nothing and followed his actions, unwrapped the sweet and looking at the message on the wrapper.

you found me!

the boy gave him an expression of admiration, his eyes sparkling and his cheeks tinting a pinkish shade as he smiled a tiny smile.

"i'm brendon!"

"dallon."

and that was the start of a best-friendship between little brendon and the lonely boy in front of his house.