Chapter 1

I stood outside the main gates after the driver left, balancing my two suitcases and a backpack.
I have to admit again even though I don’t want to, that this house was somehow very pleasing. Even though the horror vibes were still there, the closer you go, the homely it got.

I stepped inside watching a huge and breathtaking garden in front and a narrow path to walk inside made of flattened stones arranged randomly. The house had circular towers and floor length windows. The main door was elliptical, giving it more edge of a castle.
I am very sure that I will pretend to be a princess in here at some point.

I took a deep breath, practiced my most real looking smile and fixed my clothes and then knocked the tall oval shaped main door.
I took a few breathes to calm myself down and prepare what I will say once the door opens.

The door opened before I could think anything else, revealing a lady around her 30s in a uniform. She had bleached blonde hair and about a ton of make up on her face which I am sure made her look a few years younger. Her hair was tied in a high ponytail making the cheekbones more noticeable. The most noticeable feature on her was the grey eyes. They resembled ice. So at first glance, I knew I am not going to get along this lady very well.
The lady smiled at me, a very fake one to be precise.
I smiled back, realizing that it was my cue to speak.

“Umm... Hi, my name is Violet Adams. I am Aunt Judy’s grand niece.” I managed to get it together in a statement.

“Oh, yes. Hello, I am Susan, your grand aunt’s caretaker. Come in.” She smiled, again an extremely forced one.

As soon as I stepped inside, I wasn’t upset anymore. This place has some peculiar smell that smells exactly how our home used to smell like in Chicago. I had not smelled this since last 5 years. This felt exactly like home, calm and peaceful. I almost wanted to cry right now.

“Your grand aunt is resting right now; let me show your room to you.”Susan said while picking up my luggage.

She was so polite that I feel completely uncomfortable under her so perfect gaze. She looks like someone with an OCD would look like. A perfect smile, perfect nails, perfect clothes, perfect hair. Everything is so perfect you would doubt if they are real or plastic made.

“Okay,” I mumbled, not even attempting to smile back.

I just wanted to focus on this feeling. The feeling of home, the feeling of being safe. I haven’t felt this for so much time that I had forgotten what it felt like.

We climbed an elegant circular staircase that leads to a beautiful lobby adorned with a couple of royal looking arches.
This place wasn’t similar to castle. It was a fucking castle.
I had to be careful with my excitement; I don’t want to seem too happy to be here. So I entered the room acting like I don’t care what it looks like.
I placed my belongings in a corner and turned around to see Susan standing at the doorstep.

“Dinner will be ready in about an hour; do you want me to send it up here?” She asked.

“Yeah, if you don’t mind,” I answered smiling timidly.

“Okay, I’ll be downstairs if you need anything else.” She smiled, bowed her head down, and left.

Jesus Christ.

I locked the door and finally turned around to observe my room.
The color schemes of the room where purple, golden and off white. All royal colors. Instead of a modern design on the ceiling, a magnificent chandelier was hanging on it. But there was a TV too, perfectly contrasting with rest of the room. What caught my eye the most was the floor length painting on the wall. I don't know much about paintings but I knew that the painting was a very old one. It gave a life to the whole room.

It was what IKEA might look like.
And it was mine.

The dinner arrived shortly after I took a long, relaxing shower.
Along with the food, Susan brought some school materials and a bag with the address of my new school.
Also, she announced that I can use the spare car whenever I wanted to.

To be honest, I am terrified. I have always hated first days. Be it my kindergarten, my old school, the orphan house or this house. I get way too awkward and am a literal mess when it comes to introductions and the hardest part, making friends.

I hate it all.

I wasn’t that much hungry yet because I had a sandwich in the flight. So I ate a few spoons of pasta and then packed it and stored it in the mini fridge.

Yes, my room had a mini fridge.

I was still in awe of this beautiful room and I wanted to memorize every corner of it. I decided to step out in the balcony for a while.
London looked picturesque from up here, just like they write in novels, magical and warm.

Generally, I love solitude. Being alone and letting my thoughts off the leash and wander on whatever they want is my favourite thing to do. But nights are the only part when I hate my life. I don’t feel alone, I feel lonely at night.
Just 5 years ago, my life used to be so different. I was genuinely happy. There were a few ups and downs but I was content. I used to find things amusing. But then suddenly, everything changed. It feels like I woke up from a dream into a reality that is cruel and unfair.
Since then, I was happy but not content. I didn’t find anything that amusing anymore. I did manage to make a very good friend in the orphan house, but still there is a void in life.

One thing I learnt in these years was to be able to lock my thoughts far away in the corner during the day. And then at night, when only the moon is awake to watch me, I unlock those thoughts.
Tonight is one of those nights when I end up crying. I used to hate myself so much for crying. I used to think it was a weakness but then I read a book that said that crying is not a sign of weakness. It’s not bad to cry, it just shows that you are capable of letting things go. So now, I allow myself to cry only when no one is looking.

About an hour passed before I realized how exhausted I felt. And before any other thought could barge in my mind, I hit the bed and was asleep within a minute.

___________

Harry is gonna enter soon.

Drop a like and vote if you like this, and dont hesitate to comment your views ! 😊

Sincerely,
Meera.