Chapter 43

It was a huge terrace.

And that's not even the best part.

There is a small bed in the corner, with a couch in front of it. The entire terrace had lanterns placed on the edge, making it look even more magical.

"Wow." I whispered, still in awe of this place.

"Why didn't you tell me about this earlier ?" I teared my gaze away from the bed and landed on Harry, who had a smile playing on his lips as he looked at me.

"I forgot about it," he shrugged.

"What do you mean you forgot about it ?"

"The last time I was here was with my father. And I couldn't come here again after he passed. As time passed, I completely forgot about it." He said, staring at a distance as he spoke.

I had a sudden urge to hug him, maybe because of the huge fluffy sweater he was wearing or the way he  had wrapped his arms around himself.

But I can't. He has to remove his arms from himself first, or it will be so awkward I'll be thinking about it for next 50 years.

"Oh." I couldn't think of anything else to say.

Harry silently walked towards the bed and I followed him.

We settled on the bed, sleeping next to each other as we stared at the sky together.

"What are you thinking ?" I asked after a few silent moments, turning my face to study Harry's face.

He turned to look at me as well.

"Nothing, let's play 21 questions now."

And that smile returned.

"Okay, you start." I answer and shift a bit.

We both turned our faces towards the sky, ready to play.

"When was your first kiss and how was it ?"

Oh damn.

"It was with Niall, we were just fooling around one night, snucked a bottle of vodka and played never have I ever. He asked me if I have ever been kissed, and when I said no, he said, 'then let's change your answer' and kissed me."

I finished, remembering how we both had agreed on not doing it ever again. It was gross.

"Oh." Harry said monotonously.

"When was yours ?" I asked after thinking for a bit.

"It was when I was 15, we had invited the emperor of Australia for dinner. His daughter Princess Patricia and I kissed that night. It was cute."

I heard the smile in his voice as he remembered his first kiss.

"Awww," I looked at him. Sure enough, he was smiling and blushing like a teenager.

"Okay, my turn." He turned his face to me.

"Tell me something you hate about yourself."

"Honestly, there is nothing I hate. I love everything about myself and I am proud of it.” I smiled and looked at him.

There is one thing I hate; it’s the fact that I get too awkward. There is a reason behind it. But I don’t think we are having that kind of conversation yet, the deep ones where we tell each other about our insecurities and fears.

“Oh, great!”

“What do you hate about yourself?”

“Oh come on, be a little original, Violet.” Harry sighed dramatically, shaking his head as he turned his gaze to the sky.

I smiled back, not knowing what to say.

I could see a lot more stars in the sky here compared to the sky over America. Matt and I had learned to locate a lot of constellations but the stars were never visible enough.

“My heart.” Harry murmered quietly, as if not intended to speak out loud.

I turned my face confusingly at him, and plopped my head over my palm to be able to study his expressions.

“I hate my heart. It trusts everyone so easily.”

Oh.

How completely opposite to me.

“You know, after I realized what Cian and Brendon did, I still didn’t hate them. Yes I was angry and alone, but never once did I feel betrayed. I still love them just as I did since the day I met them.” He closes his eyes and takes a deep breathe.
“They destroyed England, both of them. At one point, Cian tried killing himself. I couldn’t help but rush back here and help him. And I don’t even regret doing it.” He opened his eyes back, looking like a small child confused about something.

“No Harry, it’s not bad to be selfless. No one but the people who truly loves can be selfless. You love your family, and are ready to help them even after what they did to you. It just shows just how much of a beautiful soul you are.” I smile at him, trying to remove that frown from his features.

He just smiled at me.

“I hate something about myself too.”

I don’t know how that spilled out.

But now that it has, I don’t see why I shouldn’t say this to Harry.

“I hate how awkward I get when talking to new people.” I say, taking a deep breathe before I continue.

“There is a reason why it happens. You see, when you meet new people, you don’t know how much they are going to affect your life, and how much close they are going to get with time. So if I come across as so awkward, no one will find me good enough to talk more than they have to. But still, I hate doing it.”

I should not have said that.

That was not supposed to be stated out loud, goddamnit.

“But why have you built so many walls around you?” He asks, as if this question has taken the peace out of his life. As if he has been dying to ask this question.

“I can’t bear someone else leaving me now. I am scared. I hate change, and death is a major one. I can't love anyone.” I couldn't look at his eyes as I speak, so I lie down again, focusing on the stars.

I don't think whatever I said made any sense, but the thoughts in my mind are randomly changing every second.

"You can't live without love, Violet."

I felt a shiver run through my body at his words.

"I am learning to."

I feel his eyes on me, staring right through the walls I've built.

"What happened to your family was wrong, it shouldn't have happened. But it has, and you can't do anything about it. But have you ever thought that they wouldn't want you to be like this ? How sad your mother might be feeling, knowing that her daughter is not willing to love anyone."

His hand moved towards my head, he started caressing my hair softly.

"But I am scared. What if people starts leaving me the moment I start caring for them ?"

"You just need to give them a chance, love."

"I can't, Harry."

I felt my eyes starting to fill with tears.

"Stop thinking too much, just trust your heart. I know what you are going through, but you can't stop living your life, it goes on. You see road accidents happen all the time, but do you stop driving because of them ? Death is a major change, I agree. But it is a rule of life, your family will always be with you, in your heart. All you need to do is have trust your heart."

I closed my eyes, absorbing the words he is speaking. A tear rolls down my left eye, soaking my ear because I was sleeping.

I felt the soft pads of Harry's fingers brushing the moisture away from my skin.

"But I will always be insecure, and to try to protect myself, I'll not give my best in it. I am incapable of love, Harry. Please try to understand."

My voice cracked at last.

"You'll be alright, Violet. Right now, you are extremely bruised from your past experiences. Just give one chance to your heart, love. I know you are capable of it."

After a long time, I turn my face to be able to look at him. I see sympathy in his gaze, I see understanding. The exact thing I was looking for.

"How can you be so sure of it, Harry ?" My voice was just above a whisper as I asked him.

"Because I have seen the fire in your eyes. It's not always present, just sometimes. Like that day when I said you were snoring in your sleep, then when we danced on 31st december, then when Judy was sick, all the times you accidently let your guard down. I see the spark in your eyes, and I think it should be permanently there."

A small smile played on his lips as he remembered all those moments we shared.

I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I leaned in and smashed my lips to his.

______________________________________

Have you ever slept under the stars and held a deep conversation with someone ? Or just yourself ?

It is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

What do you think of this chapter ? Tell me in the comments and don't forget to give it a vote !

Sincerely,
Meera.