Chapter 53

"Can I.. ?" Harry trailed off, motioning with his hands if he could come sleep next to me.

I didn't answer, just shifted a bit to make space for him.

He picked up the covers so that he could get inside, making me shiver because of the cool air.

"How was your day ?" He asked softly.

"Good," I murmured, turning my face on the opposote side and eventually turning my entire body that way, my back facing Harry.

"I am assuming you're too tired." He stated.

I hummed in approval.

"Okay, goodnight Violet." He said, nervously putting his arm over my torso as he usually does.

"Night." I whispered curtly, shifting uncomfortably under his arm.

He got the signal and shifted his arm away from my body.

I don't know anything after that because I was already drifting into darkness.

- - - - - -

I woke up in a weird position.

Harry's hands were obediently tucked under his head as he slept, facing me. Whereas I was entirely wrapped around him like a Koala. My legs were carelessly drapped over his, arm thrown over his stomach and head snuggled in his shoulder.

It took me a while to detach myself from his body and turn my body the other side.

"Its okay," Harry's raspy morning voice made me freeze in my movements.

"You don't have to disentangle yourself from me." He said again when I turned my face over to see him.

He was smiling.

"No, I was just too hot." I answer curtly, shifting to face him again.

"How was your day anyway?" He asked.

As far as I could recall, he had asked the same question to me last night.

"Good," I answer, the same I had given.

"And Jake didn't come to bother you again, did he?" He asked, trying to sound nonchalant but failing miserably.

"No. And Harry, I think we need to talk." I cut the crap and  get staright to the topic.

"Okay,"

He must have been expecting this, because without saying another word, he raised his hand to support his head on it, looking at me with calm, masked expression on his face.

"What you did to Jake yesterday was really unneccesary." I start.

Before he could say something, I cut him off-

"Look Harry, I know you were just trying to protect me, but.. Uh, I... you don't understand." I take a deep breathe, not knowing how to put it all into words.

But still, he needs to know.

I signalled that I wasn't finished yet when he tried to speak, making him close his mouth and nod.

"I don't need you to fight my battles for me. I want to fight them by myself. What I need is for you to be there, to comfort me when I feel tired, to push me when I am about to lose hope, to apply medicine on my wonds when I get hurt. I need you beside me, not in front of me like a shield."

His eyes widened as I finished, it took him a while to continue as he took a deep breathe, frowning in confusion.

"But I want to be able to protect you, Violet. I want to fight anything that harms you. I want to face all the problems before they even come near you." He says, defending himself.

I know what he just said was very touching but the only thing I could focus on was my independence in this situation.

"I don't want you to do that." I state, sounding a lot more harsher than I had intended.

"But why is it such a big problem ?"

He is not getting it.

"I don't want you to fight my battles for me. I am strong enough to protect myself. Why is it so hard to understand?"

I get up and shift away from him, eventually getting out of the bed and standing at the edge, facing him.

He stood up as well, clearly surprised  with my sudden outburst.

"I understand what you're saying, but being there for you also means protecting you. I know you are capable enought to fight, but the least I can do is help."

"Oh my god, Harry you are not getting it."

"Getting what?"

"That I can solve my problems on my own, there's no need to just swoop in and become my knight in shining armour." I am seconds away to hit something at this point.

"Pretending that the problem doesnt exist is escaping, not solving the problem." He said coldly.

"What?"

He has got to be fucking kidding me.

"You think you know everything about me? Just because I trust you enough to tell you about my past?" I step closer to him, feeling a lump grow in my throat as his earlier statement echoed in my ears.

"Well, as a fact, I do know almost everything." He shrugged, looking away from my face.

"I may be weaker emotionally, but I could break your nose beyond repair with just one punch which I am seconds away from throwing." My voice grows colder as I take one more step towards him.

"Jesus Christ. Is it.. Are you on your period, Violet?"

He puts both of his hands on my shoulders, looking sumpathetically at me.

That does it.

Even before I know what I am doing, my palm connects with Harry's cheek, making his face shift a but due to the impact.

Instinctively, Harry's hand covered his cheek, looking at me with a cold stare.

His jaw clenched once, but then he walked away, slamming the stairs shut once he was in his room.

I exhale sharply, walking in the bathroom.

That went too far.

I take a few breathes to calm myslef down, and get in control of my senses.

Just as I pulled my underwear down to sit on the toilet to pee, I notice a damp red patch over the material.

He was right.

And that makes me want to pull my hair out of my skull.

I groan loudly, and find a tampon to use.

I hate him so much right now.
________________________________________

Guess what happened ?
My computer crashed in the middle of writing and now I can't remember Harry's side of arguments.

I know, it's horrible.

I have tried my best, do tell me what you think of this and give it a vote !

Sincerely,
Meera.