Chapter 29

Midterm exams are starting next month.

I can't believe it's exam season already. I have always been a more than average type of student academically. I can score decent grades if I study hard enough. What I don't like about myself is that I have to work extremely hard to be more than average. I have to stretch all my limits to their last points to reach there.

So naturally, my anxieties go on another level as the exams approach.

I started revising the notes, making flashcards, cramming all the figures, reading and re reading the chapters strategically.

One more thing which I hate about myself is I fall asleep all the fucking time. The pressure of studying does something very deforming to my sleep cycle.

So right now, I am sitting on the couch with my flashcards, memorizing the dates and years with their events. It's been an hour now, and I am not feeling sleepy. Good thing I am staying away from the bed as much as possible.

Harry and I ate dinner together tonight, and then he wanted to go out for a walk because he ate too much.

After a long time, I had the mental space to think. So in no time, I found myself spiralling in a chain of thoughts, forgetting about the flashcards all together. Everytime my mind spirals, it ends on the same event. That awful day five years ago.

The next thing I know is I am sleeping in my bed, my arm around Harry's torso, and legs entangled with his.

When did this happen ?

I softly untangled myself from him and shifted a bit, stretching my body lazily.

I kept staring at the ceiling of my room for a while, still feeling disoriented.

"Good Morning," Harry said in his raspy morning voice.

"Why didn't you wake me up ?" I ask, still staring at the ceiling.

I don't know how it is possible, but I am extremely tired.

"I tried, but you didn't want to." He said, defending himself helplessly.

It was quite adorable.

"I had to finish memorizing all those flashcards."

"Relax, Violet. You're going to fall sick if you keep going at this speed." His hand that was near to my head started caressing my hair softly, I could fall asleep again like this.

"I am scared Harry." It felt weird to say that out loud, but also relieving for some reason.

"I know, love. But I also know that you will do great," He smiled, still caressing my head mindlessly.

"I hope you're right." I sighed, closing my eyes again.

"Do you want me to help you out ?" He asks after a while.

"Yeah, but only if you want to."

Andrea had asked me if I needed her help in studying but I thought I would be able to do fine on my own, turns out I could do fine only in America, not in England.

"I would love to, now chill out, it's just an exam."

"Okay, thank you Harry." I finally turn my head to him and smile, feeling a bit better already.

I closed my eyes again, trying to go back to sleep.

"I think this is the right time to tell you that you have exactly 10 minutes to get ready for school."

"What the fuck ?!" I got up so fast that my vision got blurred for a minute.

I spent the next 10 minutes running all over the room to get ready.

Harry tried to help but I asked him not to. So he just sat down on the bed so that he doesn't come in my way and stared at me with an amused smile on his lips which he tried so hard to hide but couldn't. If I had time, I would have said something but I didn't have even a second to spare.

Despite all the rush, I reached 5 minutes late.

- - - - - -

School went well that day, and the next, and then the next to that.

I could feel the tension of exams in the air, almost taste it.

People were spending their free lectures in the library, going through reference books and the lunch break consisted of going to teacher's offices to solve doubts.

It was like everyone was suddenly waking up from a deep sleep. Even Nichole and Louis who were the only two people of our group who didn't care about their results were silent these days. At lunch, no one discussed any upcoming parties.

The days at school became the same blur of franctic running all over the place.

I came back home, tired but firm about today's study plan.

"Hey," Harry greeted me with a smile and looked up from his book.

Lately, I have started staying in Harry's room most evenings. By doing that, I can focus on studying and do more work compared to my room, where there was a huge plasma tv and my phone sitting on the night stand, screaming at me to use it.

"Hi," I placed my books carefully on the table at the corner of the room, and wandered of to his bed, sitting beside him.

"How was school ?" He asked, clossing his book and putting it on the bed, giving me his full attention.

"Same," I answer, yawning and stretching my body.

I just wanted a break.

"Do you want to take a nap first? Then we'll start history today. I have made some notes for you." Harry said softly, putting his hand on my shoulder for support.

He has helped me a lot these days, going out of his way to explain things to me. He is good at almost every subject.

"Thanks Harry, I don't know what I would do without you." I smile adoringly at him.

"Stop it, you'll make me cry with those words." He said, fake sniffing and pretending to wipe a tear from the bottom of his left eye.

"Shut up and take the credit." I flick his forehead playfully.

"Oww, that hurts." He rubbed that spot on his forehead, frowning playfully at me.

"Okay sir, it's my nap time. Sing me my lullaby." I lay down and close my eyes.

"As you wish, princess." He said, lying down beside me as well, and starting to hum his tune.

I don't know how but I am emotionally becoming so much closer to him as the days are passing

And most importantly, I don't know if it's right or not.

______________________________________

This chapter is just a filler and not really important. But it does show how supportive Harry is to Violet.

Tell me what you think of this chapter and do give it a vote if you liked it enough !😊

Sincerely,
Meera.