Chapter 10

Note : Before you start reading this, I want to inform that I dont belong to british culture and therefore, have no idea about it's history, monarchy or customs. Every detail about history that is mentioned so forth is fictional.
I respect the english culture and have no intention to violate or disrespect it in any way.
Thank you.
_____________________________________

Flashback

Abour two hundred years ago, The Styles bloodline ruled England.
Emperor Edward Styles, king of england in  1820, was a powerful man.
He had everything the world desired for, Power, Finances, Fame, Luxury, Health, everything was his.

But the one and only emptiness he has always felt in his life was of love.

The love of his life, his wife had sadly passed away at a young age of 25, leaving behind the symbol of their love, their son, Harry in the hands of Edward.

Harry was one last piece of his wife that Edward had left with, so he cherished him like a precious jewel.

At the age of 35, Edward won a battle against Ireland. He met Queen Ciara after that. In a short span of time, they fell in love and got married.
Ciara already had a son before their marriage and they concieved one after.
Resulting in all 3 princes of England growing up together.

Ciara was a great lady. Never did she let Harry feel absence of a mother. He even shared a great bond with his stepbrothers.
Harry grew up in warm and affectionate surroundings. Everyone in the palace from ministers to servants adored him because of his cheeky behaviour. He was talented in every field. Literature, art, sport, medicine, reasoning, everything was in his comfort zone.
Even the public had a soft corner in their hearts for Harry.
He was happy,
They all were a happy family.

After a long time, Harry saw his father also genuinely happy. But as they say, happiness and sorrow are both two sides of a wheel. One is bound to come after the other.

10 years later, King Edward was diagnosed with an incurable disease and had only a few years left to his life.

He therefore decided that it was time to pass the baton to his eldest son, Harry.

Harry was devastated when he found out about his father's disease, he didn't know what he would do without Edward's guidance. He didn't know how to live without his father' shadow to protect him from the scorching heat of the world.

He started spending his days sitting beside his father's bed and talking to him.

"Son, can you pass me the water ?" Edwards voice brought harry out of his thoughts that were spiralling down every moment.

He quickly poured water in the glass on the night stand and gave it to his father.

Edward sipped half of the water from glass and gave it back to Harry.

"When your mom was taking her last breaths, I had promised her to protect you all your life and to adore you with so much love that you'd never miss her." Edward said, closing his eyes for a bit.

Harry knew a lot of things about his mother, but he was never told why she died. Whenever he asked this
question to his father, he would always get an unsatisfied answer. He was too young to remember his mother, so he doesn't even know if she was sick or there was some other reason.
There is a potrait oil painting of his mother and father in one of the hallways of the palace where every ruler's painting is hanged. That painting is the only source he has to know his mother. He would always stare at the painting for hours as a kid. He searched and searched in the depths of his brain for even one tiny memory of his mother, but he never got one.

As he grew, he gradually stopped searching for answers and just accepted the fact. Also, he had Ciara now, so he decided to let go.

In all those years, neither him nor his father ever mentioned Harry's mother. It was a mutual understanding and they never talked about her.

So it was obviously a shock to hear his father suddenly mention his mother.

"I think I tried to keep my promise, but I don't think I suceeded in keeping it. Just 10 years had passed and I remarried. I don't think I will be able to face her in the heaven," Edward sighed, opening his eyes and staring at  Harry as if he wanted to memorize his face.

"No father, you never broke your promise. You always protected me. Even Ciara always treated me like her own blood." Harry felt helpless here, he didn't know how to comfort his father.

"No Harry, my child. I started another family. I gave your mother's place to someone else. I have committed a sin." His father had a pained expression when he spoke.

Harry didn't know what to say to lessen his father's pain.

"Son ?"

"Yes, father."

"Can you promise me ?"

"Yes father, I will do anything, just ask me." Harry sat up and held his father's hand in his, trying to comfort him.

"Harry, you are my eldest son, and you are the heir of the throne. After my death, I want you to take on the power forthwith. Our minister will help you through it, and you will have to go visit our ancestor's church in the forest, alone. I know you will be a great ruler, Harry." Edward smiled lazily at his son.

Harry was shattered, but he kept himself together for his father.

"Yes father, you don't have to worry, I will never let you down."

"I know, son. Always remember to put the public before yourself. And never hesitate to kill for justice. And take care of yourself, Harry. I will be looking out for you from the heaven. Au revoir." He smiled, a content smile this time.

Harry smiled back, muttering a 'goodbye' because he was filled with so many emotions to speak.

With that, Harry was left in the world without both of his parents to shield him.
Just at 19 years of age, Harry was alone, forever.

______________________

I hope that I pulled it off.

Do let me know what you think in the comments and vote if you like it !

Sincerely,
Meera.