Chapter 5

Second days are a little better than first days.

That is because you know what to expect. And people have already judged you all they want on the first day, so you are not the centre of attention anymore.

I would say today was a pretty normal day. I wasn’t as afraid of people judging me as yesterday and I actually felt like I belonged there and was not a stranger who was new to school and everybody wanted to analyze her from top to bottom.

I came to know that the girl from yesterday at lunch was called Emma.  She was what they call, 'Queen Bee' of the school and the fact that I didn’t do what she asked me to do yesterday was considered a lot more daring than I had thought.

Two girls named Andrea and Nichole came and personally praised me for this. In reply, I of course awkwardly thanked them.

So all in all, I had a good day.

So far.

As I opened the door to my bedroom, I was greeted with a sight of a person sprawled on my bed, eating sandwiches as he watched TV.
So naturally, like any sane person, a huge gasp and a few swear words came rolling out of my moth before I could stop them.

“What the fuck?” That was for that sandwich he dropped on my bed when he saw me.

“Jesus Christ, watch your language, Violet.”He snapped, his eyebrows joining to form a frown, he looked like he was mad at me.

He was mad at me.

“You watch your sandwich, you idiot.” I almost smacked him but then remembered that I am not gonna touch him.

“Sorry, I am not used to people watching me.” He mummbled as his ears turned bright pink and he frantically tried to clean my bed sheet.

To be honest, it was kinda cute, and a lot awkward.

“Out of this entire fucking castle of a house, you selected specifically my room to eat your sandwich?”
I literally snap when stuff gets on my bed sheets, and this one looked very expensive.

“First of all, stop swearing, it’s not nice. And secondly, it’s not your room, its mine.” He said this while removing the bed sheets and taking out new ones from the closet.

This guy is fast,

“What?”

And also dumb.

“Yeah, this house was a royal palace about a century ago, and right here, was my room.” He smiled and looked around the room, obviously reminiscing the past which  was way too much in the past.

“Care to elaborate?” I cross my hands over my chest, waiting for an actual answer instead of this riddles he's speaking. I am so not going to believe the bullshit that comes out of his mouth.

“I will explain but when the right time comes. Do you want a sandwich?” he forwarded his plate towards me which had 3 delicious looking grilled sandwiches in it.

“No thanks,” it might be spiked for all I know.
Also, this might be the first time I have said no to a sandwich. They are like oxygen to me.

“Umm, I am gonna go. I have to take lunch with my grand aunt Judy. Try not to ruin anything else,” I smirked at the last part and forwarded to the door.

“Okay, sorry for that.”

He sounded embarrased.

Great.

-- -- -- --

There was a 22 seater dining table.

In a house where only 3 people lived.

Well, technically 4 but that doesn't count.

Grant Aunt Judy was already sitting in the first chair when I entered the dining room.

I didn't know what to say here.

Hello, Nice to meet you ?

Or Hello, how are you ?

Or Hello, I am Violet ?

No, definitely not the last one.

But I was saved when she smiled and started to speak.

Thank god.

"Hello Violet, It's so good to finally meet you." She smiled, a genuine one.

"Hey, nice to meet you too. How are you ?" I ask, taking a seat opposite her.

That was a good start.

"I am good," she smiled.

This lady must be around 90 years old. And being a cancer patient, I had imagined her to be looking worn out, fragile and tired.

But she was the total opposite.

Her eyes were very similar to mine, almost the same shade. And her hair had turned completely white but were still shining naturally.
She had put on the perfect amount of make up. Not too much like Susan, not very less like me.
If I had to compare her with anyone, I would say she was Professor Minerva McGonagall from Harry Potter.

"Come on, have something," Judy said, motioning me to start eating.

I smiled, awkwardly opening the bowl in front of us and taking some vegetables out in my plate. I had no idea what it was.

Was I supposed to say anything now ?
What will I say to this lady who I have never met in my entire life but who is the only blood relative I have ?

I should have practised a few topics beforehand.

Goddammit Violet!

"So, what do you think about London?  Liking it so far or missing America already ?" She said, concentrating on her plate.

She was eating like a royal person.

The conversation went spontaneously well after that. She asked a few questions which I answered without messing up. And there was a comfortable silence after that.

Not so hard now, was it ?

Yes. Not a single introductory conversation of my life has been an easy one.

But I liked Judy. She was warm and she actually felt like family. I knew that she has no blood relative other than me either.

It felt good.

But still, just as awkward.

_________

Feel free to comment your opinions on it and drop a like and a vote if you liked this chapter. 

Sincerely,
Meera.