Chapter 2

Here comes the moment I was dreading for past two hours. I was almost 100% sure that I'll tell Susan that I am a bit sick and very jetlagged but then I realized that I can’t escape this. I have to face the first day of school one way or other.

So I quickly got ready, wearing a simple blue full sleeved T shirt and faded jeans. To no one’s surprise, I was on a bad hair day, so I had to tie my hair into a messy ponytail that looked like I styled it in two minutes but actually took 30 minutes.

I gave one last glance at myself in the mirror before going out. My eyes were a bit swollen, the result of crying last night.
My choclate brown hair looked presentable now, and my skin looked glowless without any make up. But I prefer it just like that. Not that I dont want to apply make up, its just that I feel like applying make up is like adding filters. To hide the flaws in the picture and to make it look more atttactive. So I put on make up only when I feel like it which is when it is very necessary.

I wouldn't consider my self tall, but I am not short either. I am in the middle somewhere, with 5'4 feet, I look decent enough when I actually put on some effort.
When I was confident in my look for today, I grabbed my bag, phone and shoes and hurried downstairs.

Usually, I skip breakfast but Susan cooks decent enough and I was so nervous that I ate two pancakes and a toast with coffee.

I was yet to meet my grand aunt but Susan said that it’ll be great if I meet her after school.

I anyway don’t need two awkward introductions in one day now, do I?

About an hour later, I was parked outside the school where I reached with the help of navigation. I still had a half mind to reverse the car and run back home.
But after a few convincing thoughts and reading a good luck text from my one and only friend Niall back in the orphan house, I decided to go in.
This school was bigger than my old one. So of course there were more people than I imagined. Without any awkward encounters, I managed to go into the office to get my schedule and locker keys.

I observed how this school had huge hallways and high ceilings, kind of like Hogwarts. Every place here at London looks like castles and has a Harry Potter- ish touch to it.

Either that, or I had officially lost a bit of sanity after coming here.

Things went quite smooth for the first half of the day, there were a few new students today, so it wasn’t just me the teachers asked to stand and introduce myself. I think that was the hardest part considering that there are about 50 students in one class.

Then, during the lunch time, I took a table in the farthest corner and took out my phone so that I don’t accidently make an eye contact with anyone. Before my impression gets out as afraid, I want to clear that I am not afraid, I am just very awkward and don’t know how to talk to humans like a sane person.

I was almost finished eating when someone tapped on my shoulder. I looked over my shoulder to see a girl standing with her arms crossed in front of her chest, looking at me with an annoyed expression.

“You are on my seat.” She says like I should be feeling guilty.

“Oh, sorry, I was about to go” I smiled and turned back, finishing my lunch a little faster.

“Oh, so you are from America,” she said, again in a tone that was more like she was accusing me as she guessed it from my accent.

“Yeah,” I smiled, glancing at her for a moment before turning back.

“Hello, Miss America, you need to evacuate this seat. Now.” She said, in a poisonous tone now.

“I said I was about to go, there are like 10 empty seats in this whole room.” I said with confidence, stopping and looking at her, giving my undivided attention at this point.

I knew what people like her does to others. As I said, I am awkward, yes. But I am no way near weak or scared. If I don’t speak right now, she will always push me deeper.

“What is your problem, huh?” her voice raised a few notches, I looked around in my peripheral vision, that a few people had started looking over at us.

“I don’t have any problem,” I smiled, taking a bite of my sandwich.

“Then give me my seat.” Her voice slowed down a bit, but the irritation was still the same in her body language.

“I will, don’t worry. But after I finish my food,” I said sincerely, going back to concentrate on my food rather than her face.

“Whatever,” she huffed and walked away, knowing I am not standing up when she orders.

People like her gets enjoyment in bullying people. And their only targets are either new students or the nerds. They impose their power on the weaker ones because by that, they know that they are safe and no one is going to argue with them or fight back.

This time, the girl tried met messed with a wrong person.

The rest of the day passed just as smoother as before. So I was happy I didn’t have any awkward conversations today when I entered my room and flopped down on the bed with a sigh.

It was late afternoon and Aunt Judy had to go for a checkup today, so Susan suggested that I take lunch with her tomorrow so we can finally meet.
I was not very tired yet, so I decided to call Niall and talk to him about my day.

Niall is my bestfriend from the orphan house. I met him five years ago. He was in that orphan house since he was 6 years old. His mom died in an accident when he was just 4. And his dad remarried after a year. His stepmother already had two kids and didn’t want to take responsibility of the third so she sent him to the orphan house, inspite of his father’s disagreement. When I was shifted there, I didn’t talk to anyone for a week. Then one day, when I was eating dinner while reading a book, he asked me which book was it and that’s how we started talking. Then as time passed, we grew closer; we shared a lot of interests and hobbies. We were both good kids. So naturally, we were even better together. We were the favorites of our caretaker. In the last five years, the only happy memories I have are with Niall.

He is a few years older than me, so now he lives in his own small apartment and works as a manager in a restaurant.
Our plan is that I will move in with him after a few years, finally escaping this and living on my own terms, with my bestfriend.

I spent almost an hour talking to him, and then I went down to the kitchen to eat something. When I came back after informing Susan that I won’t eat dinner tonight and just wanted to sleep, I noticed that the balcony was open. But I remember closing the door. It was weird but to be honest, I was very tired so I might not have closed the door.

Keeping all those thoughts aside, I change in my pyjamas in the attached bathroom and brush my teeth, ready to pass out.

But by habit, I spent another half hour flicking through some memes in my phone. But at some point I started seeing someone’s presence in the room.
That’s when I knew I should sleep. 

Before I start hallucinating.

_________

Attention.

Please fasten your seatbealts coz we are about to reach Mr. Harry Styles' entry in next chapter.

Do not hesitate to comment and tell me your views !
And do drop a like and vote if you like this chapter, which i hope you did.

Sincerely,
Meera.