Chapter 4

"Hello, my name is Harry." He stepped closer, forwarding his hand out for me to shake.

No way am I touching this guy.

But before this message could travel to my brain, it had already ordered my hand to move forward and shake his hand.

Way to go nervous system!

Instead of just shaking my hand, this guy full on bowed down and slightly brushed his lips on my knuckles.

Holy shit.

I awkwardly take my hand back and discretely try to rub it off in my back.

“So…” Oh shit, what name did he say again?

“Yeah, I am invisible,” he smirkes, softly rubbing his nose with his pointer finger subconsciously.

Oh, his voice.
It’s so deep I can feel the vibrations in my bones.

So he thought I was giving him an opening to start a conversation.

“Like I am gonna believe that, Do I look that dumb to you?” I said as I simultaneously looked around the room to find something that can be used for self defense.

Fortunately, there were a lot of choices.

“I know it must be hard for you to believe me, but it's true.” he started talking a bit faster, his accent making it sound more intense.

He then started talking about some chemicals and wavelength frequency and lights speed excitedly when I finally zoned him out and started to properly look at him.

Or, check him out as some would say.

His hair was curly. Not the hard tiny ones, the soft big ones. They were chocolate brown with some few darker strands in between. I had not observed anything but his eyes earlier. But now as I look closely, boy, his lips are a piece of art. They were the darkest shade of pink and looked really soft, absolute perfection. I slightly glanced over his body which I am guessing is beautifully chiseled with the way his black shirt fits around his torso. 

“Violet?”

“Yes?” and then I was abruptly pulled out of my checking out mode.

“So that’s your name,” he had a hint of smirk that he tried so hard to hide as he spoke.

Great, so now he knows that I was checking him out.

“Yeah,” I muttered, a little awkward and a lot embarrassed.

“And what is your name again?” I finally managed to ask.
This was getting more and more awkward.

“Harry Styles”

“Okay”

What now?

And then an amazing idea popped up.

“Can you come take a walk with me?”

“Sure,” he looked confused but also relieved.

If he thinks I believe him, then I’ll give him the benefit of doubt and before he knows, I’ll be throwing him and Susan out of the house.

I still had time before I start getting ready for school, so I can surely test him.

We left the house as quietly as possible and started walking around the neighbourhood.
Exact opposite to our house, we saw a little girl and a boy playing in the lawn.

Time for action.

The little girl smiled at me when she spotted me looking at her.

“Hey. My name is Violet; I am your new neighbour.”   I kneeled down to match her height.

This was way out of my comfort zone, but I had to do this anyhow.

“Hi Violet,” she said in her baby voice.
I start to observe that she didn’t even acknowledge Harry’ presence as he stood beside me, squinting because of the sunlight.

When he turned to me, he smiled and shrugged, as if saying, ‘I told you.’

“What is your name?” I ask the girl, ignoring Harry.

The girl smiled and looked behind her to the boy and then softly answered,
“Annie.”

“Okay Annie, wont you say hello to my friend Harry here.” I did it. I went to this extreme of pointing exactly where he stood.

She looked where I pointed, right at Harry. But the next moment, she looked back at me with a confused look.

“Oh come on, don’t you see this guy right here? See, I am touching his arm, see? ”I knew I sounded like a crazy woman but I wanted to prove it so bad. I wasn’t even surprised when the older boy slowly asked little Annie to go inside their house with him.

“Okay Violet, enough for today.” Harry mumbled in a commanding tone and grabbed me by the elbow and started leading us back to the house.

I roughly snatch my arm away from his grasp and walked in the same speed but it was a bit difficult because his strides were longer due to the length of his legs which I just realized  was, very long.

Still, I was not letting him touch me.

“Look, I know you don’t trust me. I am not even asking you to. But you have to stop convincing people that you are mentally retarded.” His jaw clenched as he spoke, but his eyes held some other emotion, as if he has lost all the hope.

I suddenly noticed that he looked exhausted. Not physically, but mentally.

Although, that doesn't give him any right to snap at me like that.

“You know what? I don’t even want to talk to you anymore. And I am going to pretend that I can’t see you like all these people. Now if you excuse me, I have a school to go to in 30 minutes.” I was so tempted to add a middle finger at the end but that would have gone far too much.

“Okay, fine.” he said with a blank expression as he turned around and started walking towards the house ahead of me.

That’s when I noticed something.

Harry had no shadow.

________________

Do you think Violet will trust Harry now ?

Feel free to comment your opinions and drop in a vote and like if you like this chapter !

Sincerely,
Meera.