It's Quiet Uptown (IV) - P. Parker

"𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐨 𝐝𝐞𝐞𝐩𝐈𝐭 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥𝐬 𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐨 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐦 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧"

"Peter, honey, please eat something." Y/N, his wife, tells him. She puts the plate on the bedside table on Peter's side of the bed. She frowns at the sight of her husband. He's sitting on the bed with a photo album in his hands. "Peter, are you okay?"

"What the fuck is that question, Y/N?!" Peter snaps, looking at her with bloodshot eyes. "Do I look okay to you?" 

"It's nearly been a year, Pete." she says softly as she sits next to him, taking a peek at the photo album. The photo he was previously looking at was a picture of him and his son on his son's 1st birthday.

"I like this picture of you and Andy. It's really cute." she compliments with a small smile. She looks at him again and brushes away stray curls.

"It's my favorite." Peter says.

A moment of silence falls upon them and Peter silently cries. Y/N's heart breaks and she knew he missed your son, but you missed him too. They need to help each other get better.

"Peter, you have to move on. We have to move on." she says, wiping his tears away. Peter pushes her hands away and stands up, "No! We can't forget about him like that!"

"I'm not saying that we should forget him. I'm just saying we should move on!" Y/N says loudly, now standing up too.

"I don't get why you're not sad about this! Did you even care?" Peter shouts.

"Of course I care! What makes you think that I don't?!" she was getting pissed at his false statements.

"Because you're not mourning over our own son's death!" 

"I mourned over his death and I'm still mourning! But newsflash Peter: life still goes on! The world won't stop for us when we lose someone! We have to accept that!" she argues as angry tears stream down her face.

"How could you say that?" Peter questions, kind of hurt and offended. "You do realize that we won't see our son grow up, right? We won't know what his dreams are? We won't meet his first girlfriend? We won't send him off to college?" 

"Of course I realized that. I did. But we need to move on. We can't keep hurting like this anymore, Pete. I can't see you getting hurt anymore." she sniffs, wiping her tears away. "We need to continue living and just because I've moved on doesn't mean that I don't care."

"You're not the only one who's hurting to you know." she sighs.

Peter frowns and walks closer to her. He cups her cheeks and says, "I'm sorry."

"For what?" as far as she knows, he shouldn't be sorry for anything.

"I'm sorry, because I was too blinded by hurt to see that you were hurting too." he smiles sadly. "We're a team for fuck's sake. I'm sorry it hasn't been that way recently." 

"I understand." she returns the smile.

"I was just really upset with myself, because I wasn't able to save him." Peter cries again. "I'm Spider-Man and I save lives everyday and the one person who looked up to me the most, I wasn't able to save. Do you know how painful and disappointing that is? He would never forgive me."

"Andy loves you so much, Pete. He's watching you from up there and I can tell that he's sad to see you beating yourself for up for what happened. He wants you to be happy and I know that he forgives you."

"How'd you know?"

"I'm his mother and I carried him for nine months. So, I think I'm qualified for knowing what my son is thinking." she lightly chuckles. "And also mother's instincts."

Peter chuckles and hugs her. She hugs back and smiles at his warmth.

"Thank you."

"Anytime, Pete. I miss my partner in crime." she smiles.

"I love you, Y/N. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'd probably be out there somewhere and lost." she jokes.

"You're right." Peter laughs as he pulls away.

"I love you too." she says before leaning in for a kiss. Peter closes the gap between them and the kiss was full of love and longing.They pull away and Peter looks at the food on the bedside table, "Let's eat?"

She just nods and grabs the plate before leaving the room, "I'll heat this up."

Peter eyes the picture and smiles once more, "I love Andy. I miss you."

He closes the photo album and puts it on the shelf before leaving the room. Peter knew it would take some time to finally move on, but he also knew that his wife was right: life still goes on even after we lose someone we love.

He knew he'll get better soon. For, acceptance takes patience too.

* * * *

end of "It's Quiet Uptown" series