Chapter 1: Fifteen Years Later....

The date was June 27, 1986, in Liberty City at the Alderney State Correctional Facility. Inside the prison was replete with rather tough guards who had a knack for punishing prisoners who acted out of line and/or rebelled against their orders. Most of them were sentence to about at least ten years inside up to life at most, and a good number of them were put in for murder.

One of the prisoners was named Tommy Vercetti, an Italian-American mobster who did his time after committing murder just fifteen years ago. Tommy appeared to be a 6'2" athletic man with dark brown hair, brown eyes, and a five o'clock shadow.

He was currently lying on the bench pressing about 200 lbs of weight in the prison gym, with all the other cellmates waiting their turn to hop on the bench press. Tommy was already on his sixtieth lift.

"Come on, man," one of the cellmates complained. "You're taking a long time."

"Wait your turn, asshole," Tommy told him, continuing bench pressing.

The other cellmates groaned impatiently. So Tommy did ten more bench pressed and finally set the large barbell on top before slowly picking himself up to sit up on the bench.

Just then, a security guard walked inside the gym. "Vercetti!" he called. "Get your ass over here! You're free to go!"

"You guys want to get on the bench?" Tommy told the other cellmates. "They go ahead. It's all yours. Just quit whining! Fucking ingrates."

Tommy stood up and walked away. He was about to get out of prison today. It has now been fifteen years since he was first locked up in prison. Prior to that time, Tommy had associated himself with the Forelli family. His boss, Sonny, Don of the Forelli family, had made him his trusty soldier after he decided to join the gang. Tommy was 18 during the time. Then, in 1971, Sonny had sent Tommy in Harwood to assassinate a man on his orders.

Unfortunately, for Tommy, he was ambushed by ten more hitmen who tried to kill him. Vercetti thankfully survived the ambush after he killed every last one of them while dodging their attacks, but was also arrested and charged for manslaughter. He avoided the death penalty after Sonny commuted the sentence due to judicial connections. Tommy had kept quiet of all of this and turned no evidence on the Forelli family, proving his loyalty to said gang.

Tommy slowly strolled down the hallway to see the other rows of guards staring holes at him. Tommy paid them no mind and continued to look straight ahead as he kept on walking.

After a while, Tommy finally approached the counter to collect his duffel bag with clothes. He was even offered a pair of white tennis shoes as well. As Tommy adjusted the sneakers, he headed out of the front entrance. He looked around to see that things have changed since the early 1970s. The vehicles, the fashion the pedestrians were rocking, the cars, the city – it was clear that the 1980s had already arrived since then. Tommy took a deep breath and walked through the busy streets. He had no idea what was waiting for him after fifteen years of hard time.

Meanwhile, the Forelli Family were all gathered around the table in their hideout, with their Don, Sonny, discovering the news.

"Tommy Vercetti... huh!" Sonny cried. "Shit. Didn't think they'd ever let him out."

"He kept his head down," one of the Forelli goons answered. "Helps people forget."

"People will remember soon enough," Sonny replied. "When they see him walking down the streets of their neighborhoods. It will be bad for business."

"Well, what are we gonna do, Sonny?" another one of the goons asked Sonny.

"We treat him like an old friend and keep him busy out of town," Sonny replied. "OK? We been talking about expanding down South, right? Vice City is twenty-four carat gold these days. The Colombians, the Mexicans, hell, even those Cuban refugees are cutting themselves a piece of some nice action."