Chapter 50: New Waves

Hours later, Tommy watched the beautiful sunset blaze in the yellowish orange sky. So far, the boatyard was looking good. But Tommy still had something else on his mind. He's done enough work at the boatyard for today, so he felt that it was time to have a little fun for a while.

Tommy met Dwaine and Jethro inside the shack. They ran up to him in excitement. "Vercetti, dude!" Dwaine told him. "We got something to tell you!"

"Oh yeah?" Tommy asked. "Like what?"

"Like, how would you like a little fun with these boats?" Jethro asked.

"Oh yeah?" Tommy asked back. "Well what kind of fun?"

"Racing!" Dwaine chimed in. "You like racing, right?"

"I'm up for it." Tommy replied. "Anything to keep my mind off stress. So where does this race take place at?"

"That's the thing, dude!" Dwaine told him. "It's a race through the ocean!"

"The ocean?" Tommy asked.

"Yeah," Jethro answered. "Like, it's a speedboat race out here. First one around and back gets a reward."

"Well then grab a speedboat and let's get there!" Tommy demanded.

"Right behind you, dude," Dwaine said as he and Jethro followed Tommy outside.

The trio were now in individual speedboats of their own. They all rode ahead into the ocean to meet up with the other five speedboat racers at the starting line.

It was a speedboat race that consisted on one lap around the whole city. The first racer who crossed the finish line would win the race and the money. Of course, there were also rules to the race, as no one was allowed to take a shortcut through the middle of the path under the bridges, or they were automatically disqualified. So to prevent this, a railing was placed on the right side to keep from the racers to cut the corners and race fairly.

Tommy joined the other boat racers as they all were ready to begin. The countdown started, and the race promptly begun. Tommy started riding as fast as he could as the other racers had pulled away from him about ten feet in front of him. Tommy, however, retained his patience and gradually picked up speed as he slowly caught up to them.

He took third place when the racers raced past the Escobar International Airport and made a right turn on the other corner, riding straight down through the ocean. Almost everyone was closer to each other, very eager and determined to take the first-place spot. The race continued going straight ahead past the Fort Baxter Air Base and Little Haiti.

Tommy kept his speed and stole the second-place position as the racers passed through the ocean next to Downtown and around the Hyman Memorial Stadium building, making a right turn.

The racer in first place was just twenty feet away from Tommy, and Tommy wasn't about to give up to easily. He was hungry for a victory and wanted to com up on top in the race. So instead of trying to speed up this time, Tommy just simply kept his acceleration steady as he rode straight down through the ocean behind the only racer in front of him. They were both yards away from the other racers as they continued riding past Prawn Island.

The two racers were so ahead of everyone else that they were the only ones who reached Vice Point. Tommy was still about twenty feet behind the racer in front of him though. But he wasn't discouraged in the slightest. He just kept the acceleration steady and continued riding as he made a right turn around the city of Vice Point.

Tommy looked ahead to see the racer still in front of him. the two were riding beside the sandy shore on the right. Tommy continued to keep steady until he gradually saw himself catching up to the racer in front of him. His method was actually working. He kept his patience and continued accelerating as he and the racer in front of him zipped past Washington Beach. By the time both of them zoomed through Ocean Beach, Tommy had finally caught up to the other racer, and as they came to a right turn around the lighthouse, Tommy was able to steal the lead from the racer. He was now in front, and the two were getting closer to the finish line.

As they both continued riding straight ahead, the finish line came in view, and Tommy was holding on tenaciously to the first place position. This was now the perfect time for him to retain his speed once again, and he squinted his eyes tightly in determination. This wasn't a time for him to get cocky and complacent, so he had to focus on crossing the finish line before the other racer who was right behind him had a chance to zip past him.

After a while of speeding, Tommy had finally made it past the finish line, finishing first place and winning about $5,000 in the process.

After a few minutes, Tommy had returned on the docks, and Dwaine and Jethro walked up to him.

"Great racing dude," Dwaine congratulated Tommy.

"I agree," Jethro added. "Like, you can definitely ride boats as well as you own them, Mr. Vercetti. Can we be your business partners?"

"No need to ask me twice," Tommy told them. "Anyone who works with me or for me deserves a cut of the profits as well."

"Alright," Dwaine cheered.

"Cool," Jethro replied.

So the boatyard had now gained a revenue to generate up to a maximum of $2,000. Tommy had owned all the boats he could get thanks to his first new business, and he was on his way to collect more dough to have enough to pay his old boss back. Tommy wanted to search for more business assets around Vice City to purchase, but for now, it was getting late, and he was getting tired. So he rode a speedboat all the way back to his mansion.