Chapter 26: Autocide

But before Tommy could ask for any other job from Diaz, however, he heard his cellphone ring. As Tommy made it to the front of the mansion, he pulled his cellphone out and answered it.

"Get to the payphone in Washington Beach," he heard Mr. Black say over the phone. "It's very important."

So Tommy stored his cellphone aside and turned back to run out of the mansion driveway to Starfish Island. He ran straight to the bridge heading to Washington Beach. He saw a PCJ-600 parked up ahead at the construction site and ran up to the vehicle. He hopped on, used a stick to put it inside the ignition and start the engine, and rode away.

Tommy finally made it to the rows of payphones on Washington Beach and hopped off the PCJ-600. He walked over to one of the payphones, punched in Mr. Black's number, and waited until the latter would pick up.

"Mr. Vercetti," he heard Mr. Black utter over the phone. "Great to hear from you again."

"Yeah yeah," Tommy replied impatiently. "Everyone around here wants me dead! So what else is new?"

"That's what I was calling you about, Mr. Vercetti," Mr. Black told him. "The assassins that want you dead? I just found out. They're associates with Diaz's men. They were working for Diaz all along as hitmen to wipe out any newcomers here in Vice City."

"That's why they all wanted me dead," Tommy answered, now getting the message. "It really WAS Diaz who ambushed the drug deal that other day!"

"Precisely," Mr. Black told him. "His right-hand man, Gonzalez, spilled the beans to him that same day."

"And he even betrayed the colonel just to keep the cash and drugs all to himself," Tommy replied. "That greedy bastard!"

"So are you gonna take down Mr. Diaz once and for all, Mr. Vercetti?" Mr. Black asked him.

"I will eventually," Tommy responded. "But I don't think that Diaz fully has my trust. I will have to continue working for him until it's the right moment to strike back. I'm a man who likes meticulous planning before I'm ready to implement them. So I do more work for Diaz and he won't be able to suspect a thing."

"Well this assassination will have to be more discreet in this case," Mr. Black told him. "A European Gang plans to hit the bank in Vice City. My employers would rather this didn't happen. Each member of the gang has a cover while they are here in Vice City. Some have menial jobs, others are on vacation. Each target and their likely whereabouts are taped under the phone. I want you, Mr. Vercetti, to eliminate them off of the premises before they take you down and inform Mr. Diaz of this."

"Okay, Mr. Black," Tommy told him. "I'm on it. Discretion's also my forte. After all, I can't let that mad midget discover that I was involved in that deal he ambushed."

After Mr. Black had revealed the locations to kill each and every member, Tommy put the phone back onto its receiver and turned away. Now that he knew the truth about the botched drug deal, he knew exactly what he had to do to get back at Diaz. But he had to make sure it was carefully planned.

For now, Tommy wanted to worry about Diaz later and continued his current mission. He hopped back onto the PCJ-600 and rode away. Diaz had connections to multiple gangs who were acting as his bodyguards around the city, and it would be a hassle for Tommy to handle Diaz with so many gangs on his back. So he had to terminate them in order to get to Diaz.

Tommy made it in front of the Washington Mall, where he found Mike Griffin, one of the members of the gang, on top of the billboard, wearing a yellow construction had, a wife beater, and faded blue jeans. Tommy then pulled out his sniper rifle and hopped off the PCJ-600. He used the sniper rifle to aim for the construction worker, zoomed in, and pulled the trigger, killing the construction worker distantly.

Tommy then hopped back onto his vehicle and rode away. His next target was Dick Tanner, who was working for the DBP Security in Ocean Beach. So Tommy rode there and spotted a man wearing a navy blue security uniform and a matching hat about to hop inside the navy blue Securicar. That must have been Dick Tanner. Tommy kept his distance as he stopped from across the street and used his sniper rifle to aim for the gang member. Before Dick could hop inside his vehicle, Tommy used the sniper rifle to aim for the gang member's head and shot him dead.

Tommy jumped back onto the PCJ-600 and rode away. The next targets to take out were Marcus Hammond and Franco Carter, who were carpenters located at The Jewelers at Vice Point. Tommy drove through the roads of said street and finally saw the two members standing beside their Bobcat parked across the street of the jewelry store. Marcus was a Caucasian man dressed in an olive-colored baseball cap, matching vest over a gray long-sleeved shirt, and tight black denim pants, while Franco was wearing a brown janitor's suit and gray hat. Tommy kept his distance as he hopped off the PCJ-600, used the sniper rifle to aim for Franco, and shot him dead in the chest. Marcus tried to escape, only to get shot in the back of the head before he had a chance to hop inside the Bobcat.

With those two out of the way, Tommy now had to whack Nick Kong, who was a tourist on a Tropic close to the construction site on Washington Beach. So he darted through the road and dashed through the apartment complex, coming just on the edge of the ledge across the dock area. Tommy hopped off the PCJ-600 and took a closer look behind the ledge. There, he spotted a white Tropic, in which had a fat, Caucasian man wearing a beige T-shirt over tight gray pants. He must have been Nick Kong. Tommy used the sniper rifle to zoom in on the gangster and pulled the trigger, killing Nick instantly, and Tommy returned to his PCJ-600 to ride away.

The final target to eliminate was Charlie Dilson, who Mr. Black never gave the location. Luckily, Tommy knew exactly what he looked like. So he rode away and back onto the road of Ocean drive. Tommy then looked ahead and finally spotted the final target of the gang. Charlie appeared to be a Caucasian man wearing a red Hawaiian shirt and black pants riding a PCJ-600 himself through the road. Tommy then realized that this wasn't the time to be discreet now. So as he was hot on Charlie's tail, Tommy pulled out his machine gun and fired at the gang member as about nine bullet's hit the victim's back, causing him to lose his balance and fall off of his vehicle dead.

With every member of the European gang eliminated, Tommy let out a sigh of relief. He had to make sure none of the contracted assassins told Diaz that Tommy was the one the former's assassins tried to murder along with Vic, Harry, and Lee during the drug deal. He wanted to make sure Diaz fully got his trust so he wouldn't suspect a thing. So Tommy decided to ride back to Diaz's mansion to see what else the drug lord would have in stores for him.