Chapter 14: The Chase

Hours had elapsed, and it was now 8:47 PM. The sun had finally set, and it was now a shade of dark blue outside. Tommy was lying on the bed inside the room of the hotel thinking. He had ran errands for several people he met ever since his trip in Vice City and avoided being nearly murdered twice. Getting Sonny's money, contrary to where he was at, was definitely not going to be a walk in the beach.

Just then, Tommy heard his cellphone on the nightstand ring and picked it up to answer it.

"Yeah?" Tommy answered.

"Tommy, it's Ricardo Diaz," he heard Diaz say over the phone. "I want to thank you for looking out for me, my man. I ask that prick Cortez, he say you the real deal, my friend. Why you not come see me? I need a guy like you. All I have now is dickheads, dickheads everywhere, yo. I make you real rich. Meet me at my place on Starfish Island."

Fuck it, Tommy thought. I got nothing else to lose - beside some cash and coke.

Tommy sat over on the edge of the bed and stood on his feet. He walked out of the bedroom and made his way through the hallway, where he made it to the end of the stairway and walked down onto the first floor.

Tommy looked around to find several patrons around the lobby. Some were noticeably drunk and barely speaking coherently, and some were passed out from too much drinking.

Tommy just sighed and exited the hotel. He walked over to his Infernus and hopped inside. He started the engine and drove onto the road.

As he made a right turn on the curvy corner of the road, he drove straight down through Ocean Beach and Washington Beach. Most of the buildings were brightened with neon lights around the signs, and the headlights of the other cars on the road shone brightly through the cold, nocturnal air. Almost every building was replete with party-goers dressed in idiosyncratic fashion having fun inside and getting drunk.

The '80s is just getting weirder by the minute, Tommy thought.

He just continued driving through Washington Beach and made a left turn on the end of the road, driving straight through a bridge leading to Starfish Island. To his left was a large red and pink mansion surrounded by well cut lawns and a low wall inside.

Tommy made a left turn onto the driveway and drove straight down until he came to a stop in front of the garage and put the vehicle in park. Tommy hopped outside and casually strolled up to the white, marble steps leading to the front door, where two of Diaz's bodyguards were guarding the door.

Tommy approached them casually. "Vercetti," he greeted. "Ricardo sent me."

"Right," one of the bodyguards replied. "Right. He's in here."

The bodyguards guided Tommy inside the mansion, and Tommy looked around in awe. The interior was large and embellished with intricate patterns on the red walls and red rugs. There was a long staircase just straight ahead, as well as guardrails around the second floor.

Diaz's bodyguards led Tommy to the stairs up ahead and right inside Diaz's office. Inside was replete with a black desk, a massive window right behind with long, black curtains, and a camera monitor to the right. Diaz was watching a horse race on his large screen television supported by a white pillar stand.

"Come on, baby, go!" Diaz shouted excitedly at the television screen. "Yeah! Yeah!" But his expression quickly altered to disgust as he watched the horse race. "Arrrr!" Diaz growled as he kicked the television off of its stand in anger. "Stupid Horse! I'll chop your head off! Grrrr... !"

Diaz did a shoulder pose as if he was the Incredible Hulk and looked straight ahead to find Tommy enter the office. "Who is this dickhead?" Diaz asked his goons.