Chapter 28: One Lord's Trash

Tommy made his way inside the Ocean View hotel and walked through the lobby. The song "Kiss" by Prince was playing in the background, and many patrons were hanging out on the spot. Tommy just made his way up the stairs and into the bedroom He pulled his cellphone out of his pocket and quickly dialed Sonny's number.

Meanwhile, Sonny was hanging out inside his office smoking a fat cigar playing poker with his allies. He had five cards in his hands and finally slapped them on the table to show the others.

"Ha!" he shouted victoriously. "See if you can beat that!"

The others stared back at their cards and took a second glance at Sonny's cards. They knew they had been defeated and all groaned in frustration as Sonny laughed loudly.

"That's right, fellas!" Sonny chortled. "It'll take a miracle for all of you to defeat me at this game!"

"I demand a rematch!" one of the Forellis ordered.

"There's no point in a rematch, because you guys know that I'll just keep on beating you," Sonny laughed. "But if you want to waste your time losing all over again, we'll go for another round."

Just then, Sonny heard his phone on the table ring. He then turned to his allies. "Uh, listen, guys," he told them, "we'll have to play this game later! Right now, I have a guest I need to talk to."

"Whatever you say, boss," one of the Forellis replied, and they left the room.

Sonny then picked up the phone to answer it. "Marco's Bistro, Sonny Forelli speaking," Sonny answered.

"Sonny, it's me!" Tommy replied over the phone.

"Tommy!" Sonny answered eagerly. "Great to hear from you after six days! How's things going down there in Florida?!"

"So far, the least I could say about this place is that it's... weird," Tommy uttered. "The '80s so far is just a strange timeline to be in."

"I see," Sonny replied. "So were you able to get the money back?"

"I haven't got it back yet," Tommy told Sonny, "but I know who ambushed our drug deal."

"Really, Tommy?" Sonny asked. "Okay. Who?"

"It was Ricardo Diaz," Tommy answered. "He's the biggest drug lord of Vice, and he's even got connections out here that want me dead!"

"Drug lord, huh?" Sonny replied. "So did you ever get your hands on that perpetrator?!"

"See here's the thing, Sonny," Tommy told him. "Diaz doesn't even know the specific people in the drug deal that other day, and I have found this out when I first met him to help him out. His right-hand man had been telling Diaz about the deal and I had to whack the son-of-a-bitch for that. The guy's a greedy asshole, and he wanted exactly everything around him, which is why he stole the drugs and cash in the first place."

"So are you gonna whack the fucker?!" Sonny asked Tommy.

"Not yet," Tommy answered. "See it's like I said, Diaz doesn't know the specific people who were at the drug deal, and he thinks I'm his ally. He's been asking exactly for everything he wanted and is strongly trusting me. So I have to make sure he truly has my trust."

"Ah, I get ya, Tommy," Sonny told him. "Playing the Batman Gambit! I like that! I like that! Maybe I was wrong about you, Tommy. You really do have the mind of a street smart criminal. So you just continue working for that Diaz fella over at Vice. I'll be in touch when you're finally ready to waste the asshole."

Sonny then hung up the phone and stared at the ceiling in satisfaction. He sighed deeply. "I just know that Tommy ain't gonna fail me," he said to himself. "He's much smarter than to betray his own family."