Chapter 63: The Shootist

The next afternoon, Ken and Cam were in the office. Ken had quickly stored the cocaine he had been sniffing this afternoon as Tommy walked in, and Cam was sitting on the couch.

"We need a stick up man," Tommy told Cam. "You know one?"

"Hey, Tommy, Tommy, Tommy!" Ken cried out, jumping out of his seat like a jack-in-the-box. "This stuff keeps you sharp, man. WooOOOooo! I could be your stick up man! Stick 'em up! Stick 'em up!"

He started imitating a cowboy shooting two pistols in front of him. Tommy just stared at him in annoyance.

"You ain't a stick up man, you're an idiot!" Tommy told him. "Now get yourself a drink and shut up."

Ken then started to walk away, only to stumble onto Cam's leg. "Hey, get out of my way!" he told Cam, who responded by giving Ken's leg a slight kick. "Yeh, yeh, yeh - ow ow ow!"

"Relax," Cam told the lawyer.

As Ken walked over to the other side to pour himself a glass of vodka, Tommy then turned to face Cam.

"Cam, what do you think?" Tommy asked the safecracker.

"Well," Cam elucidated, "the best shooter in this town is a guy named Phil Cassidy."

"Is that so?" Tommy asked.

"Yeah," Cam replied. "A military guy, or he thinks he is. I doubt he was ever in the army, but he certainly knows how to get a hold of guns. He'll be down at the shooting range."

Tommy knew exactly where the shooting range is. So without Cam giving him the location, Tommy exited the office and headed out through the exit of the Malibu Club. He walked outside and ran to his Infernus.

Tommy started the engine and made a left turn, driving straight down Vice Point, making a left turn on the curved road.

Tommy drove straight down through Prawn Island and through the bridge leading Downtown. The Ammu-Nation was right on the left side. So Tommy approached the building and parked up front. He exited the vehicle and walked inside the building.

He walked into the shooting range just up ahead, and saw that there were multiple patrons firing at the targets just right in front of them up ahead. Tommy had to cover his ears to keep the proximity of the gunshot sounds from ringing in them.

Tommy then spotted a fat Caucasian man rocking the blond mullet hairstyle, a black muscle shirt, and green cargo shorts. That was definitely Phil Cassidy, and he was firing at his target with two pistols. Tommy approached Phil from behind.

"You Phil Cassidy?" Tommy asked the man, shouting through the gunshot sounds.

"Why?" Phil asked, turning to Tommy briefly while firing his pistols.

"I'm looking for a man who can handle a gun," Tommy explained loudly. "From this set-up, I'm not too convinced."

"Son, I could shoot a fly off your head at 80 feet!" Phil claimed.

"Oh really?" Tommy asked.

"Yeah," Phil replied. "I learnt in the army."

"Fly shooting really popular in the army?" Tommy asked sarcastically. "Glad I don't pay taxes."

"You tryin' to be funny, kid?" Phil asked as he turned to Tommy to face him.

Tommy just stared at the arms dealer, and Phil just laughed it off. "Let's shoooot!" he cried as he handed Tommy his second pistol.

So the shootout began, and the shooters got prepared. The first weapon they were using was a pistol, and they were ready for the targets to appear.

"LIVE AMMUNATION!"" the announcer shouted over the loudspeaker. "AIM, 3-2-1, FIRE!

Tommy and the rest of the shooters then started firing their pistols at the targets as they appeared. The targets were mannequins from the waste up, and each of the targets varied in proximity. The closest moving target was worth one point. The one in the middle was worth two points. The furthest one was worth three points.

Phil was certainly enjoying himself shooting many of the moving targets on his side, and Tommy didn't miss a single shot of any of the targets he was shooting. After almost two minutes, the announcer finally shouted, "AREA CLEAR!"

So it was now time for round two, and Tommy now had 40 points scored in the first round. He walked over to the other room, which had windows and doorways all made out of cardboard.

"AIM, 3-2-1, FIRE!" the announcer shouted.

Tommy saw that there were cardboard cutouts of people appearing and moving through the windows of the inside of the cardboard buildings. Tommy hit each and every target with impeccable accuracy, and after a minute of shooting, the announcer finally shouted, "AREA CLEAR!"

Tommy had scored 45 more points, giving him 85 points altogether. He was ready for the final round of the shootout. He was still inside the room with the cardboard buildings and was determined to finish it off.

"AIM, 3-2-1, FIRE!" the announcer shouted.

For this round, Tommy had to shoot each and every moving cardboard cutout as they appeared through the windows inside the buildings and exited out through the doorways. Tommy wasted no time as he fired his pistol and kept his accuracy as he shot down each and every target around the place. After a while, the announcer finally shouted out, "AREA CLEAR!"

The shootout was over, and Tommy scored a grand total of 105 points. He then exited the room and returned to Phil.

"So do you wanna do me a favor, and help me put together a job?" Tommy asked Phil.

"Son, after shooting like that, if you asked me to be your wife, I'd say yes!" Phil cheered, smiling widely. He was impressed of Tommy's shooting.

"Yeah, let's not get carried away," Tommy replied, giving him a peculiar look.

So Tommy and Phil walked out of the Ammu-Nation and over to Tommy's Infernus. Tommy hopped into the driver's seat and started the engine. He made a U-turn on the road and drove straight down the bridge leading to Prawn Island. Tommy had picked up another partner for the job, and was determined to complete it. There was just one more person he needed to recruit in order to implement the heist impeccably.