Chapter 48: Checkpoint Charlie

Tommy woke up the next day. It was finally time for him to start purchasing business assets. He still had to give Sonny his money soon. So now was the perfect time for him to use the hard-earned cash to purchasing many businesses around Vice City.

Tommy washed up in the bathroom, dressed up in his usual street clothes, and ate breakfast. He wanted to get a great start first thing in the morning.

After preparing himself, he walked outside of the mansion and headed down the stairs. He then heard his cellphone ring and pulled it out of his pocket to answer it.

"Tommy, it's Sonny," he heard Sonny rasp over the phone. "So I heard you were now running things in Vice City right now."

"Giusto, Sonny" Tommy answered. "Had to efface that fat bastard off the face of this Earth and took out his guards as well. My next task is to take over every asset and I'll have the money and drugs to you in no time."

"Great to hear," Sonny replied. "So since you'll be so busy taking over the town, I'm gonna be the nice guy here and give you less than two months to come up with both the money and the drugs. Now get to work. The boys and I ain't got all day."

As Sonny hang up, Tommy hopped inside the white Infernus and started the engine. Tommy made a right turn down the road leading out of the driveway and made a left turn on Starfish Island, driving straight down until he approached the bridge and made a left turn.

Tommy drove straight down the road and made his way through Viceport, where he entered the docks area.

Tommy hopped out of the vehicle and walked over to the boatyard, where he saw a Squalo and Cuban Jetmax parked in the water by the docks

He walked around the shack and made his way inside, where he looked around. The inside was still the same as he left it when he tried to steal the fastest boat for Diaz days ago.

"Hello?" Tommy called. "Hel-lo?! Hello?"

He didn't see the two Caucasian owners of the boatyard on top of the boat hanging up above. One had brown hair covered with a white baseball cap and wore a blue Hawaiian shirt with white flowers over beige cargo shorts named Jethro, and the other was a redhead wearing a yellow T-shirt and green shorts named Dwaine. The two were smoking pot.

They looked down from the boat to spot Tommy. "Put it out," Dwaine told Jethro. "There's a dude here."

They both stared at Tommy, who just noticed them. "Hey suit dude!" Dwaine called to him. "I guess you're the new owner?"

"Yeah," Tommy replied. "Which one of the boats is the fastest?"

"It's already in the water, dude," Dwaine told him pointing at the two boats outside. "I thought you might want to try her out. Dude, she's already running with a 300 horse power engine... "

"... and the fiberglass hull, she just shoots through the waves!" Jethro added.

"She can do like zero to sixty in four seconds flat dude... " Jethro explained.

"...and she can hold like twenty bales of the best Jamaican smoke right in the hull!" Jethro added.

Tommy just walked away without saying a word. "So go ahead dude, she's ready to fly!" Dwaine told him.

"Yo yo, uh, suit dude," Jethro asked Tommy, "you gotta light? Dude? Dude?"

So Tommy purchased the boatyard for $10,000, and in order to make sure that everything was running well, Tommy decided to test one of the boats, starting with the Squalo. Tommy saw that there were packages floating around the ocean to collect as part of the test drive around the ocean

Tommy slowly stepped into the Squalo, being careful not to fall into the Ocean, and slowly started the engine. The boat was running well, and the engine didn't seem to be choppy at all. Tommy decided to keep the Squalo stationary for a while to warm it up before use.

After a few seconds, Tommy stepped on the gas pedal and dashed ahead through the ocean. The ocean water splashed behind the boat as it rode through. Tommy had to pass through a total of 28 packages around the ocean and return to the garage within two minutes.

Tommy rode the Squalo around the stilt houses to ride around six packages to get through the first checkpoint. Tommy rode straight ahead and zipped past the seventh package floating in the ocean.

He saw three of kickers between the docks of the Ocean Bay Marine up ahead and hopped off each of them and over the docks to set up the second checkpoint, zooming past three more packages as well.

After hopping off the third kicker, Tommy passed the eleventh package and zipped up through under the bridge to pass the twelfth package. Tommy then took the path between the islands of Washington Beach and Vice Point to zip past four more packages right before making a left turn through the path of Leaf Links to pass package number seventeen.

Tommy had one more minute to complete the checkpoint test, so he stomped hard on the gas pedal and rode the boat as fast as he could. Tommy took the path around Leafs Link and finally rode past the remaining eleven packages.

With the checkpoint challenge completed, Tommy saw that he still had enough time to return to the boatyard. so he rode south to head there quickly. By the time the timer ran out, Tommy had barely made it back, and he let out a relieving sigh. The Squalo seemed to work properly, and its engine ran fine the whole time Tommy rode it around the ocean for two minutes. So as Tommy finally saw the boatyard up ahead, he rode to it and parked right next to the docks. As he stopped there, he exited the Squalo and made his way back into the boat shack to meet up with Dwaine and Jethro.