⇢ CHAPTER 21

season 5 episode 23

"How are you gonna do it?" Holly asked, smiling as she walked down the hall with Derek to the Nurse's station

"How are you gonna do it?" Holly asked, smiling as she walked down the hall with Derek to the Nurse's station."

"Well, I'm--" Derek stopped himself as he began to eavesdrop on the conversation with Mark and Lexie, leaning against the Nurse's station to do so and began to write in Izzie's chart.

"Der--"

"Shush." Derek whispered, nodding his head at the other two.

"So I was thinking I'd start looking for a condo." Mark smiled at Lexie.

"Perfect," Lexie nodded, "and then you'd finally have a place of your own."

"Actually," Mark added, "I was, you know, thinking maybe you'd, uh, you'd come with me."

"Absolutely." Lexie smiled, "No, I-I--I would love to see it." She grabbed her charts, "I'm so happy for you."

Derek cleared his throat once Lexie left to notify Mark of his presence as Holly facepalmed. Mark turned around slowly, "How much of that did you hear?"

Holly mouthed 'everything,' as Derek shrugged, "You mean the part where you asked her to move in with you, or the part where she shot you down?"

"Mm." Mark hummed.

"We were here for both." Derek clicked his pen into his pocket, "By the way, it's just way too early for you to be moving in with Lexie. You don't have to do everything I do."

Holly snorted, putting away the chart Derek had as Mark shook his head, "This is not about you. I have my own future to think about. Life is short. Look at what's going on with Stevens."

"Don't worry about Stevens." Derek shook his head, "I got a plan."

Holly smiled, nodding her head, "He's got a plan."

Derek's plan was to remove one of Izzie's hippocampus, which meant Izzie could lose her memory and it would compromise her ability to be a surgeon as well.

By Dr. Swender's recommendation, Derek and Holly set Izzie up for a 'test run' where they would see if her brain could function without the ride side of brain.

"Okay, Iz," Meredith started, standing next to Izzie to show her some flashcards with images as Holly stood behind Derek, "I am going to show you--"

"A series of images that you want me to remember once Derek puts the right side of my brain to sleep." Izzie finished, knowing the drill.

"Mm-hmm." Derek and Holly nodded.

"Hit me." Izzie told Meredith, "Show me what you got."

"Okay." Meredith showed a card with a dog.