⇢ CHAPTER 26

season 6 episode 3 & 4

Holly walked down the hallway with Lexie as she nervously bit on her pen, looking over her patient's chart in anxiousness over the news from the Chief-- he would be firing a bunch of people and Holly hoped to be on the list of people that stayed

"I'm staying tonight." Lexie nodded confidently, going over a plan in her head of how to make an impression.

"I'm gonna stay, too." Holly nodded, taking the pen out of her mouth, "I can't risk looking like I'm not doing the best--"

"Holly," Lexie reasoned, stopping in her tracks, "you're safe." 

Holly paused, tilting her head, "How do you know?"

"'Cause," Lexie rolled her eyes as if it was obvious, "everyone likes you-- they still give you sad widow eyes and they can't fire the widow."

"Oh." Holly chuckled, shrugging as they continued walking, "Do you think I should breakdown crying in the hallway?"

Lexie shook her head, "I think that might be too much."

Holly sighed, holding onto Steve's arm as she patted his back after the bad news he received. She couldn't believe the Chief would fire a pregnant first year resident-- but at the same time, she was happy she at least got to keep her job.

And she felt awful about that.

"Okay," Lexie smiled, walking into the resident's lounge after surgery, "so I'm there in the spleen repair with Dr. Hunt, and he's got the cautery and he's moving it back and forth, you know, fixing bleeders, and then he just hands it to me... like it's the most normal thing in the world to do, like I repair spleens all the time. And so I do it. I-I repair the spleen on my own. And I just-- I realized, you know," Lexie continued, not noticing Steve's solemn gaze on the table, "if we just focus on our jobs, if we just focus on our patients, we're gonna be fine."

"Lex..." Holly trailed off.

"Megan got cut." Steve announced, "I didn't, but she did."

"What?" Lexie frowned her eyebrows at the two, "How?"

"The Chief sent out an e-mail to the people who got cut." Holly answered.

"He fired three-quarters of our class." Steve added, leaning back in his chair in disbelief, "We're having a baby."

Lexie stood up to check if she was safe as Steve brought his head in his hands. Holly continued to rub his back as she looked over at Lexie, nodding when Lexie mouthed she was safe.

"Hey." Derek smiled as he walked inside the resident's lounge, finally finding Holly, "Are you safe?"