⇢ CHAPTER 57

a/n : REMINDER ! this is the aftermath the plane crash.

TRIGGER WARNING !: MENTIONS OF SUICIDAL THOUGHTS ; I'LL PUT A DISCLAIMER AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH PART THAT MENTIONS IT SO YOU CAN SKIP IT. 

season 9 episode 2

THE DESCENT OF HOLLY KEPNER

It was four days. Four. Unbearable. Days.

There was barely any food or water for the group after the second day passed. The group had resorted to eating berries Holly swore she remembered wouldn't kill them. And although she had volunteered to hunt the animals, too, the group decided against it in case Holly lost herself in the woods. Not that Holly cared anymore-- and that's what worried the group. 

The minute Alexandra Caroline Grey died, Holly felt a piece of her die, too. After all, Lexie was the first person she became friends with after joining Seattle Grace-- the first person to silently wish she and George got together, the first person to be there for her after April left to move in with Reed, and the first person to be there when George died. The first person to listen to everything Holly said, which hurt more once Holly realized she didn't hear what Lexie's last words to her were. 

Her last words.

And it didn't help that Mark began to cry out for Lexie at night, clearly hallucinating her figure watching over him. It was the dehydration that caused such hallucinations, along with Jerry, Meredith, Derek, Cristina, and Arizona, who all began to think they heard helicopters coming to rescue the group before Holly would tell them to snap out of it. 

So while the rest of the group slept, excluding Cristina, who struggled with insomnia and paranoia, and Holly, who tiredly kept faith and prayed. She prayed-- prayed to the group to be saved or for her death to be quick, she didn't know how much more of the waiting game she could take.

"Please," Holly whispered, her dry lips separating as she inhaled and looked up at the sky before closing her eyes, "help them."

"Holly." A familiar voice called out, making Holly immediately open her eyes to see her dead almost-fiancee in front of her. It brought more pain to see him than it would relief, but at least he was there now.

"George." She whimpered, blinking as her eyes hurt yet no tears were able to form. She smiled lightly, attempting to sit up higher on the rock she leaned on.

"Holly," George smiled weakly, placing a hand on her cheek; and although she could see him do it, she barely felt it, "you gotta keep going, okay?"

"I..." Holly paused, speaking the first thing that came to mind instead of what she wanted to admit, that she felt no reason to keep going, "I've missed you."