⇢ CHAPTER 32

season 6 episode 19

"So then a couple days ago, we're at the grocery store, Gary and I, and the next thing I know, I'm flat on my back in the frozen foods section

"So then a couple days ago, we're at the grocery store, Gary and I, and the next thing I know, I'm flat on my back in the frozen foods section." Mrs. Clark summarized for Holly, Lexie, Webber, and April.

Mrs. Clark chuckled as Gary looked at the doctors, "She fainted."

"And I've never fainted." Mrs. Clark added, shaking her head, "I never seen anybody faint. I don't believe in fainting."

"Did you hit your head?" Webber asked.

"I would've if this one hadn't caught me." Mrs. Clark laughed, her hand going to her husband's arm.

"Mrs. Clark is anemic and guaiac positive," Holly started, "so there's definitely some internal bleeding."

"It looks like it's coming from a--"

"Friable tumor near the ampulla of vater." April interrupted Lexie, pointing at the spot in the scan with a smile directed towards Webber.

"Yes," Lexie smiled tightly, "thank you for that, Dr. Kepner."

"Dr. Swender told us the biopsy showed the cancer was back." Gary Clark voiced, "But she said you might be able to take it out."

"There's a chance I won't be able to go in as deeply as I'll need to," Webber clarified, "but I promise to do everything I can."

Gary sighed, looking down at his wife before nodding, "Anything you could do."

"We appreciate it, Dr. Webber." Mrs. Clark smiled as her husband nervously stood next to her, "Thank you." 

"Dr. Webber," Holly looked up from the open body cavity in surgery as she questioned, "did you consider doing a whipple on Mrs. Clark?"

"I did," Webber confirmed, "but since the cancer came back, I think I can do a local resection and get the entire visible tumor." He paused, noticing April looking at the gallery, "Dr. Kepner, are we boring you?"

"No, sir." April spoke, looking back down as Holly's eyebrows frowned before realizing he talked about April, "I just-- I wasn't expecting Chief Shepherd to be up in the gallery during a general surgery." Lexie, Holly, and Webber looked up to see, "But I guess that's the Chief's job, right-- evaluating, observing?"

"Dr. Kepner," Webber reminded April, "you're in my O.R., and the only one observing and evaluating you right now is me."

"Yes, sir." April nodded, "I'm sorry, sir."

They continued to work until Holly looked over at her sister, who was still looking up at Derek, and frowned her eyebrows, whispering, "Apes."

April quickly moved her head back down, not realizing Lexie had noticed.