⇢ CHAPTER 37

season 7 episode 5

Tying her shoe next to Lexie, Holly frowned her eyebrows as she saw Dr

Tying her shoe next to Lexie, Holly frowned her eyebrows as she saw Dr. Webber standing around the resident's lounge.

"I have great faith in you..." Webber began as soon as Holly stopped tying her shoe, making her simply sit next to Lexie as they listened, "I can because I chose you, I trained you. The training wheels are coming off, people."

"Navy scrubs?" Meredith asked, noting the Nurses handing out the scrubs to the residents.

"Attending scrubs." Webber added, "You are attendings today."

"Ooh." Holly hummed, looking at Lexie with a smile before they both reached out to grab one, and were surprised when the Nurse handed the last two navy scrubs in her hands to others when they were right in front of her.

"Run the cases, take point, but don't be a fool." Webber listed, "If you get in over your head, cry uncle. Until then... congratulations." He brought his cup of coffee up briefly, "You've just been promoted."

"Uh, Chief Webber." Holly and Lexie spoke in unison as they got up and walked behind him.

"Um, sorry." Lexie apologized, "But w-we didn't get any scrubs."

"Oh," Webber explained, "this is for fourth-year residents only. It's just a regular day for you two."

He nodded before walking off, making them both shrug in defeat as Lexie began, "Well, fine. Well, if they're gonna be attendings--" Lexie looked at Holly.

They both spoke at the same time, "It makes me Chief resident." They stared at each other for a brief pause, "No, I'm Chief resident."

"Holly." Lexie glared.

Holly frowned her eyebrows, "Lexie." She cracked and sighed deeply, "Fine, you'll be Chief resident."

"Whatever." Alex shrugged as he approached the two, leaning in as he informed them, "It just makes you our scut monkeys."

They scoffed at the same time before walking after him, "N-No, it doesn't... does it?"

"How are we basically the only two residents taking care of everyone's patients?" Holly groaned as she carried five charts in her arms along with her coffee that she had yet to drink.

"I don't know." Lexie sighed, checking off a mark on her papers as Holly opened the door for the both of them.

"Grey!" Jackson yelled out in frustration, acting as if he hadn't been able to write his name on the egg, "You broke my concentration."

Lexie scoffed, bringing her hands up in surrender as Holly put the charts down on the table with Jackson and began to drink the coffee, "Holly was the one that opened the door!" Lexie pointed at Holly, who now was filled with energy.

Holly opened one of her charts and looked apologetically over to Jackson, "Sorry."

Holly inhaled deeply before writing quickly in the charts-- her handwriting looking as legible as ever although she was writing at a rapid speed. Jackson looked over and frowned his eyebrows as he grabbed another egg, "You okay?"

Holly nodded repeatedly, the energy coursing through her veins, "Never better."

"Hey, uh," Lexie looked at her chart before glancing at Meredith, "post-ops look good, so if there's nothing else..."

Meredith looked up from the egg, "Oh, could you discharge 12-24? And his chart needs to be dictated."

Lexie nodded, "It's gonna have to wait until after I check on Torres' knee girl, turf the window jumper to psych, remove a June bug from some kid's ear in the pit, write some meds for screaming-kidney-stones guy," She lifted a page, "and then deliver labs to my goiter lady."

Cristina scrunched her eyebrows, "Stop bragging."

"I can't." Lexie smiled, "I was born for this kind of day."

"Hey," Holly spoke up, smiling as she finished writing in her charts before looking at Lexie, "23-04 needs a central line, I'm thinking about making one of the interns do it."

"Ooh." Lexie practically bounced up, "Make Jerry do it."

"Ooh," Holly smiled maliciously, "okay." 

She nodded before walking away, making Jackson frown his eyebrows lightly as he turned to Lexie, "Who's Jerry?"

"It's an intern that keeps bothering me and Holly to put him on cases." She shrugged as Jackson's slight jealousy calmed down," We told him to just go to the pit and find one yet he expects us to find one for him and he is just--" She brought her hands in front of her as if she was choking air, "a lot."

Being tired from the day they had, Holly had switched into her regular clothes and sat on a bench as Lexie slept in the other one. After getting a bit tired from waiting for Jackson since she knew he was still in surgery, Holly slowly lied down on the bench and fell asleep.

"Hey." Jackson nudged Holly lightly as the other residents walked around the lounge, their day recently ending.

Holly smiled, "Hey." She brought a hand to her face as she wiped her tired eyes, "Can you drive?"

Jackson nodded, grabbing her keys, "Got it."

Having slept on the car ride home, Holly gained enough energy to read her book-- which was what she was doing now. Jackson was currently next to Holly with his hands in his face as he remembered his failure in surgery today which led to Derek yelling at him.

"You're not a failure, Jackson." Holly patted Jackson's arm as she shrugged, "You're just a little clumsy, so what?" She looked at him briefly, "You just need to find a specialty that speaks to you, too. And Derek--" She waved a hand, "Derek gets angry like that, don't take it personally-- I've been there."

"You've been there?" Jackson asked, bringing his hands out of his face as he became intrigued.

"I didn't catch a brain bleed until it was almost too late, Derek and I had to rush the patient to surgery and luckily," She flipped a page, "he survived." She shuddered, the memory fresh in her brain, "He got angry and yelled at me for a while but I don't miss the bleeds anymore-- oh, my God."

Holly's mouth dropped as Jackson frowned his eyebrows, looking over at her, "What?"

"She imagined the whole thing!" Holly scoffed, closing the book as she had finished it before whispering, "Crazy bitch."

Jackson laughed, "Are you serious?"

Holly chuckled, looking back at him, "What?"

"You kept reading as we had this conversation?"

Holly shrugged, making them both laugh as she answered, "It's called multitasking."

There they say, laughing and telling stories for a few more minutes until they ultimately fell asleep together as if the trauma from the gun shooting at the hospital had not affected them at all-- as if it was a regular day.

As if they had been together for ages.

✧✧✧

next chapter is the documentary :}